I Can't Take It Anymore (Hiwatt Content)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by soxhats, Feb 24, 2014.

1. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

It's been three days since I gigged with a friend's vintage Hiwatt DR-103. First time I'd ever used a Hiwatt. I can't stop thinking about how it sounded. Cut through better than any head I ever have played.

I'm not even sure this is "my" sound. The razor-like tone of a Hiwatt. I'm not playing much rock these days -- mostly Americana and the surf/soul/exotica thing you see in this clip. Not sure this tone is truly a match.

Or maybe it is.

I remain irrationally infatuated with this tone. I had to stop myself this morning from ordering a $2,500 Reeves 225.

Anyone else ever go through this, whether with the Hiwatt sound or anything else? Obsession.

2. middy

middy

It does sound great! $2,500 great? That's for you to decide. ;-)
  3. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

I don't know if it's your tone either, but it sure sounded good to me! The bass was filling out the low end nicely and had superb presence in the mix. I bit the bullet and forked over for a Reeves C225 last year. I let myself be swayed by the opinions of a couple of 'heavy hitters' who were blown away by the tone - Tom Bowlus and Mike Arnopol. I have never been happier with my sound. One big advantage in my particular situation is that I don't have to cart it around - it stays in my church's sanctuary. I know better than to 'never say never, but in all likelihood it is my last amplifier purchase.

[​IMG]
  4. soxhats

When you do have to move it, you use the two straps on top? There are no side handles, correct?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. spiritbass

Correct. Locating them on the top prevents knuckle-busting. :cool:
  7. soxhats

So it's my birthday and my wife has given me permission to make a bass-related purchase. Doubt this is what she had in mind though. :)
  8. scf4003

scf4003

Fork over the $2500, a small price to pay to be happy the rest of your life. Do it!
  9. Fluid Power

Fluid Power

Where is the Hiwatt in the video? Behind you? So you can't find a Hiwatt for less?
    I liked the sound, a lot, but would a V4B with a B25B 2-15 cab have been better. What do you use for a head and cab now? Great tune by the way!
  10. soxhats

Thanks!... Main rig for the last year has been a Fender Bassman 100T and a Fender 410 Neo cab. Like it. But playing that Hiwatt (which is behind me and not visible in the video) felt different.
  11. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Tried any other quality vintage British amps? I use the term 'quality' to disqualify Marshalls, which seem to be mostly what made it to the US.
  12. soxhats

Not really. Well, a friend has a vintage Orange (I can't remember which model) that I got to play through for 20 minutes a couple of years ago and, come to think of it, I loved that too.
  13. Pokerstar

Pokerstar Supporting Member

It's your Birthday! Get em BOTH! (Happy B-Day!)
  14. Fluid Power

Fluid Power

Listened to it again and (after I tuned out the dancing white Tee) I heard the high end better not any growl, more a kick or punch. Might be right for the type of tunes you play. Not sure the Fender would be right??? Didn't They use Vox a lot in the day with that type of music? And would a Vox (tube) be closer to a Hiwatt? Just thinking out loud.
  15. soxhats

That's an excellent question. I'll explore that.
  16. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

That Hiwatt sounded fantastic through my studio monitors. You have just about got me gassing.
  17. Basshappi

Basshappi

You are absolutely right, you need that amp. Your tone will suck, your band will hate you and your life will not be complete without it.
  18. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

If your patient and let fate work it weird way, it'll come. Been GAS'ing for one for months and almost pulled a trigger on a DR103 but things didn't pan out.....Couple weeks ago, I was scheduled to work at a site but it got cancelled when i got there due to weather so I was able to drop by a GC near the area.....low and behold I saw a used mint 2009 Hiwatt DR201 for a killer price. Didn't hesitate and got it. :bassist:
  19. Fluid Power

Fluid Power

Happy Birthday by the way. Mine was last week and I got a PF350 Ampeg :) I like your sound better. Forget the Vox idea, don't know what I was thinking! The surf craze was fueled by Fender Bassman and Bandmaster. Not really 410 neos. More like 2-12's.
  20. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    My Jule Monique pre made me sell my Hiwatt DR-103 after one gig.

YMMV but the Monique gave me crystal clarity and great clean tube tone.
  21. spiritbass

I forgot to wish you a - Happy birthday! :)