I Could really use some help !?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TWISTEDSTRINGS, Jan 3, 2013.

1. TWISTEDSTRINGS

TWISTEDSTRINGS Supporting Member

I recently picked up a `05 Fender Amer Del Jazz 5. The issue I`m having is what seems to be a lack of shielding buzz/humm(when I touch the bridge or strings it goes away). From all that I`v read this seems to be a common problem with the Fender Jazz and from what I understand there are two things to do to fix the problem 1. use copper tape and shield the cavities and pups and ground the shielding. 2. remove the ground loops that are present and rewire the grounds and that`s were the problem comes in. I not sure what to do, so I was hoping someone could walk me thru it, maybe even post a schematic of what the wiring should look like when I`m done. I would also like to install a active passive bypass switch like on the newest model but I`m not sure how that gets set up either ? I`v searched all over TB but cannot find a fix I fully understand...Thank you in advance for any help you give me...

2. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

I've got the same bass and have never had any errant buzzes or untoward noises at all.

Touching the strings and having noise improve isn't usually a shielding problem though AFAIK> It has to do with grounds to/of the bridge-to-ground via the jack.

3. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

bad ground was my first thought.

4. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

The bridge gets grounded by a small wire protruding up under it and touching the unseen side of the bridge to ground it.

From there, the single wire goes to either the back of a pot or directly to either the circuit board and/or the ground side of the jack.

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TWISTEDSTRINGS

TWISTEDSTRINGS Supporting Member

Just going by what I have read and the little I do know, the fact that when I touch the bridge proves that the ground is good, plus my VOM shows almost no resistance between the bridge and the common ground. Have you ever heard anything about to many ground wires or this ground loop thing ? I`ll check the jack ground now and the rest of them. @ SurferJoe, I hear this is not a problem on all MIA Jazz, just a lot of them. What year is urs and do you have the new N3s ?

7. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

My 2009 MIM has the licensed versions and the MIA is a 2011 - so: yes.

8. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Try Bounce in your dryer machine.... just joking here :cool: If you have a ground wire to the bridge from the pups you should not get that buzz. Can you make sure you have the jack input in the bass grounded properly? :meh: