I din't know that (SX SS content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mustang Surly, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Some SX, 4-string, short scales have a 2" string spread (E-G) at the bridge, others a 2-1/4".

2. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

The 2-1/4" ones have (at least to me) a very different-feeling neck and allow for a far wider choice of bridge upgrades, if one should happen to be so inclined.

3. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

My older ones have the 2" spread, my newer ones have the 2 1/4" spread.

Not sure if the headstock shape is an indicator as I have a jazz that has the Lakland style head stock and a 2 1/4" bridge. It's a blocked neck so that may have something to do with it. The ones with the Ursa headstock have 2 1/4" bridge.

4. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

I have 2, both with the "old" style headstock. One with a maple and the other with a rosewood board, both with dot markers rather than blocks. The maple is a 2"-er, the rosewood a 2-1/4". They may have gone to the ("standard") 2-1/4" partly because it's hard to find P-type pups whose pole pieces align properly with the narrower string spacing. Just a guess.

As alluded to above, with the exception of the Mustang RI bridges and a couple of spacing-adjustable after-market bridges, most seem to be made for 2-1/4" string spacing. I haven't found a high-mass bridge which is designed specifically for 2" spacing. Has anyone else?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

The Kahler and Schaller bridges that adjust individual strings side-to-side are the only other bridges I know of that will accommodate the 2" spacing. No other suggestions?

7. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

8. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly