1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

I din't know that (SX SS content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mustang Surly, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    Some SX, 4-string, short scales have a 2" string spread (E-G) at the bridge, others a 2-1/4".

2. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    The 2-1/4" ones have (at least to me) a very different-feeling neck and allow for a far wider choice of bridge upgrades, if one should happen to be so inclined.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    My older ones have the 2" spread, my newer ones have the 2 1/4" spread.

Not sure if the headstock shape is an indicator as I have a jazz that has the Lakland style head stock and a 2 1/4" bridge. It's a blocked neck so that may have something to do with it. The ones with the Ursa headstock have 2 1/4" bridge.

5. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    I have 2, both with the "old" style headstock. One with a maple and the other with a rosewood board, both with dot markers rather than blocks. The maple is a 2"-er, the rosewood a 2-1/4". They may have gone to the ("standard") 2-1/4" partly because it's hard to find P-type pups whose pole pieces align properly with the narrower string spacing. Just a guess.

As alluded to above, with the exception of the Mustang RI bridges and a couple of spacing-adjustable after-market bridges, most seem to be made for 2-1/4" string spacing. I haven't found a high-mass bridge which is designed specifically for 2" spacing. Has anyone else?

6. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    The Kahler and Schaller bridges that adjust individual strings side-to-side are the only other bridges I know of that will accommodate the 2" spacing. No other suggestions?

7. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
  8. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013