I don't get it, '62 fender pbass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jazzyteen, Jul 6, 2012.

1. jazzyteen

jazzyteen

Hey ya'll

So I never thought that I would say this but because of Pino in the voodoo album and other neo-soul he does stuff I am falling in LOVE with the sound of old pbass.

So i am looking into getting one, tried 3 of them at a music store, the 60th anniversary ed. (gorgeous), mexican road worn and an american special. I liked the 60th ed most and amer. special less.

I am left handed so I would need to get warmoth or some other custom company stuff except for the elect.

Upon research I have seen that the fender original '62 P bass p-up set is the best for some of the vintage p-bass sound (fender website is confusing when it comes to p-ups on their different models). I thought, how is it possible that a 1k+ bass has 70$ p-ups?!?!

I would like the best possible p-up for the bass (the sound i want to get closest to is the pino palladino sound), any suggestions? I don't think fender sell the pino bass p-ups seperate... what about the 60th anniversary p-up? are the '62 that good even for the low price???

thanks for any help!!!

2. jonathanhughes

jonathanhughes

3. low2groove

low2groove Tyranis 4 / Lower Groove Guitars Supporting Member

Personally I love the Bill Lawrence (Wilde) P bass pickup. the best in my book for the P sound and sorry to say a lot more musically toned than any fender pickup. also more versatility because of the wiring options than the Fender.

4. D.M.N.

D.M.N.

I have the '62 pups in my AVRI 62 Precision, and I love them. The thought of switching them out has never even crossed my mind. With the tone rolled off, they produce that big p-bass whoomp, and with the tone open, at least with my Roto 66s, are very zingy and crunchy. Seem to have a solid output over the full range, sound like a P-bass should sound in my books.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. klaus486

klaus486

Disclosures:
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    Great pickup! Fender makes a lot of them hence a lower price. Just because something is inexpensive does not mean it is "cheap". Remember in order to "sound like Pino" you have to BE Pino and you aint.....neither am I, tho I am more interested in sounding like old fretless Pino. Also keep in mind that the pickup is only one of the factors in the sound you are hearing on the records you like. Amps may be involved, studio rack gear, computer plug ins, post production etc, it all effects the end result. SO get/buy/build yourself a mighty P-bass and play it til it's got holes worn in it! Remember to have FUN whilst doing so!

I see that you are a lefty.......how bout this?

http://www.fender.com/products/americanstandard/models.php?partno=0193620700

7. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    The '62 pickup is in the 60th Anniversary. And it's perfect in that bass.

My 60th Ann is the one bass I've ever owned that I don't feel a need to change ANYTHING.

8. cnltb

cnltb

I'm sure you are aware of this, but nonetheless...when listening to an album, you'll hear at least as much of the effects, amps and engineer,and probably more of those things as you hear the bass used. You do hear the person playing it though.:)

9. bolophonic

bolophonic

They are inexpensive, but they are unbeatable pickups. The best $70 you can spend on an upgrade.

10. Slackerprince

Slackerprince

I tried them and sold them.
    Great tone, but I felt like they were that car that enters the freeway, and if you had just a little more power, it would be awesome.
    I went for the Seymour SPB-2.
    Fuller sound and more umph.

11. velalv

velalv

I am a lefty also, and bought my first bass 2 years ago, a squier pbass special. I replaced the pups with the 62 pups and it was a huge improvement. It made my cardboard sounding squier sound pretty close to a real pbass. I put on some TI flats and it sounds great.

12. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    The CS62's are the pickups I have installed in my main recording bass, because I'm not looking for high output, but because they're smooth, well-voiced and even.

I quit looking for "power, punch, or volume" out of my pickups years ago... that's what amplification is for.

13. meatwad

meatwad

Here is a great website with some passive P-Bass pickup sound files, minus the '62 though. In a way, this site made me decide to just leave my original pickup in my Precision, because even though there is a slight difference to be heard, I think the amp, strings, and hands make the greatest difference.

Still, I will eventually go with the '62. I know me. It will happen. The cloth wire covers are very tempting...

14. Don41_2

Don41_2 Supporting Member

I've been curious about the Fender '62 orginal vintage pickup too.

I have a '97 california series Fender P Bass Special that has the stock pup (pre-2008 american standard).

How would the Fender Original Vintage compare? Would there be any significant difference?

Also, what about capacitor matching? i read somewhere (probably here) that the '62 Fender is better matched with a .1 mf (vs my .05 mf).

Curious about opinion of Fender pups that I should look for after market (Not interested non-fender pups.)

Thanks and sorry for slight highjack. I can start a new thread if OP prefers.

Note: the previous owner had an awesome tech go over the bass. It is dead quiet in all positions (including J only). I don't want to mess with it unless it is a real improvement.

15. miles'tone

miles'tone

Isn't the Fender original in the CS Pino bass anyway? It said on the box I got mine in that they're used for the American reissues and Custom shop basses.

16. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

The Fender pickup is as good as any of the aftermarket stuff.

17. FunkRenegade

FunkRenegade

It seems that even custom shop P's come with 60's original pickups. I'm sure they have a special handwound version for higher end specs, but I'm skeptical about the new "custom shop" pickups in their new am standard basses.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have 62's in my 76 Precision and they're excellent. Have not tried the SPB-2 but I know alot of folks who love them as well.

19. Frenchy-Lefty

Frenchy-Lefty

I have the '62 in my Left-Handed my red 1996 Am Std Precision along with TI flat strings and you would not believe how close it sound from Pino's bass.
    FYI If you find a used lefty Am Std Pbass 60th Anniversary, it already has the '62 pickup in it.

20. og61pbass

og61pbass

whats the difference between the pups in my bass and the 62 pups? I have a 61 p bass all original...:meh:

21. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't know. Give it to me and I'll compare it to mine with the 62.

:D