1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I don't get it

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lfmn16, Jan 1, 2013.

1. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    Actually there are a lot of things I don't get, but the point of THIS thread is:

People on ebay who keep listing the same bass at the same price for months on end. I'm thinking of buying a Carvin 6 string and there are a couple on ebay that are listed at well over twice what others are actually selling for. They've been there since I've been looking which is at least two months.

Does anyone know why they just keep re-listing at the same price when they don't sell month after month?

Thanks.

This isn't really even a pet peeve, I'm just curious if anyone has an explanation.

2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

i'm pretty sure their are a few L1000s that have been on there for over 6 months

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

You can always send them a note suggesting they lower their beginning price. Nothing wrong with letting them know you're interested, but not at that price.

4. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump Supporting Member

Some people man, some people.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassteban

bassteban

I see the same in bicycles(would likely see it in basses except Im not in the market and haven't even been browsing lately)- there's a couple of 10-15-yr-old bikes that WERE high-end when they were new, but the guy keeps listing them at 2 or 3x their original price, like they're *rare/collectible, etc*... I also do not get it

7. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

8. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

I sent a few messages in the past for items that were overpriced. The seller never seems to care. I guess they're counting on the sucker born every minute deal coming through for them.

9. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Maybe the wife told them to sell it and they put it on ebay with a price nobody will buy it at so they can keep it.

10. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

That's how it's going for most of the times : They have a price in their mind and keep at that price as long as it's for sale on the internet. I would say that after 2 or 3 months, they should lower the beginning price. Not directly by half or something, but maybe $50 of the beginning price (depending on how much they ask, of course :p)

11. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

If the seller isn't desperate for cash, why wouldn't they be patient? If it's a high-priced instrument, it may take a while to sell. There are fewer people looking to buy Foderas than Squiers, and the Fodera buyers typically have something specific they want. Somebody may come along who just loves the bass I am selling, except that mine has a maple fingerboard and he only likes rosewood boards. So, I will keep waiting until someone comes along who wants the exact bass I'm selling. It may take a while. There are some new instruments that have been in dealer's inventory for well over a year.

12. jive1

jive1 Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    If the person is selling an item new, and they are an authorized dealer, there may be agreements in place that won't allow them to list an item for below a certain price.

13. DieterVDW

DieterVDW

I do the same if I'm not in a hurry. I have a price in my head and put it for sale for that price. People can try to negotiate. And if I really want to move it, I'll lower after a while.
    There's bound to be some uninformed person buying your **** at a too high value eventually. Just a matter of patience...

14. capncal

capncal

they don't need the money. maybe their wives are insisting they sell some basses so they list them higher than they will sell for so they can say they are "trying" to sell them.

who knows.

15. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    Using an actual example, there is a 6 string Carvin that has been for sale for $1750 for several months and there have been several basses which are the same make/model/etc. that have sold for under $1000. I don't know why they think someone is going to pay $750 more for their bass.

16. EricF

EricF Habitual User

I had a similar experience recently with a set of studio monitors. Some sellers seem to either be looking for a sucker, or don't truly intend to sell them.

17. jondog

jondog

Don't they lose money on listing fees when it doesn't sell?

18. ejmy

ejmy

There is a thread about this Ebay listing :
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/awesome-deal-day-943975/

As you can see, I posted a link about somebody selling one for under $200. So as a favor for the seller, I also sent him the link. But it's still there, lol

19. ejmy

ejmy

The OP mentionned instruments with a price tag twice the current market value. Not the ones that are expensive because they are high end instruments

20. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

+1

It only takes one [DEL]sucker[/DEL] buyer to make an oddly-skewed deal go very well for the seller...so long as the seller's not in a rush, why pay attention to reality when you can take advantage of a possibly uninformed shopper?

21. hover

hover

Seems like an example of either scamming the uninformed, or they have no concept of depreciation, or it's someone who thinks everything they own is made out of gold...all 3 are equally annoying.