1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

I don't know what to do with my life

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joshuadriller, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Joshuadriller

Joshuadriller

I need some valid opinions.. I currently have one bass (a 1977 p) and I'm thinking about getting another instrument. I've been leaning towards a PJ for months now, mainly because I want the best of both worlds, but lately I've been looking into a nice jazz bass instead. I need some opinions.
    Also, whether I end up getting a PJ or just a Jazz.. I'm going to get it custom built by a guy here in Kansas City.
  2. Joshuadriller

Joshuadriller

Another detail.. I'm looking for a workhorse of an instrument.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Well if you want a workhorse you best hope your builder knows what he is doing.

What kind of opinion are you looking for? I personally would get a jazz but I am guessing our tastes differ in my respects.
  4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Typical passive P/Js rarely achieve this, for reasons discussed innumerable times here. If you must with your "custom," go switched, like the Tony Franklin lest you wind up with the best of neither.
  5. E.J. T.N.T.

E.J. T.N.T.

Currently I own a regular P and a regular J and I have been in a similar dilemma. I am very divided about P-J basses. The tone is really cool and like you said, the best of both worlds. My problem is that I would like to try one in my band situation, since I know that a normal P-bass just doesn't work. The other problem for me is that I hate the look of a p-bass with j-pickup but find the p-bass body a LOT more comfortable, and love the look of J-bass with a p-neck pickup, but I am not that happy with the shape. I actually find both J and P necks fine.

All the above said, I would just play one. If you like the sound, how it feels in your hands and on you, I would say just go for it. Another cool thing is that you can get some great offers on p-j basses.
  6. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor, Lakland
    PJ is not the best of both worlds. If there was all caps and ability to sticky this knowledge in a giant font without being obnoxious, I would do that.
  7. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

"I don't know what to do with my life."

Get an education. Got an education? Get more education, then buy a Jazz (only because you already have a P.)
  8. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

just buy the Reggie Hamilton & done!;)
  9. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

10. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

11. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

I recently purchased a Roscoe Beck V (Fender). They're discontinued, but I didn't have a problem finding one online, and there still might be one available on the TB classifieds. They offer a mind boggling array of tones from vintage to modern fusion, and they're reasonably priced at around $1500 - $1800. I totally recommend this bass! Check out the "Roscoe Beck Forum?" thread.
  12. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Get a P/J/J bass.. Happy to all. Make it active with a push knob to make it passive. A 3 way switch for the P - P/J- J/J and you are all good. Best of all 3 worlds in one bass.
  13. millsbass5

millsbass5

Hell, satisfy all your wants, and go with a J/P/J pup arrangement.

EDIT~ Oops. It looks that "iriegnome" has beat me to it.
  14. millsbass5

millsbass5

Man, I wanna R.B. 5'er so, so bad.
  15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Don't go the custom route until you are sure of what you want.
  16. BassmanM

BassmanM

That will not work because the pups will not be in the correct positions. Since you already have a P, get a J. Or a PJ if you like the sound, although it will never sound like a J except when the bridge pup is soloed.
  17. jdwhitak

jdwhitak Supporting Member

To the OP, I have both the G&L "P" and the G&L "P/J". The tone on both is similar. It's not night and day different. The J pickup just gives you some additional nuances. I'd say whether or not to get a Jazz bass is dependent on the type of music you do.
  18. xroads

xroads

One consideration: have you played a Jazz or PJ bass by the builder you want to hire?
    If yes, did you like it?
    If no, I would not have an instrument custom built that way....go to music stores and play as many basses as you can, then pick the one you like best.
  19. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

I guess a J/P/J would work better. A J in the Neck and Bridge and a P in the sweet spot middle position. Oh, isn't there one out there that has that?
  20. ebannist

ebannist

I second the Reggie Hamilton bass!! A must have!!!