1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I don't like mids on my amp...Am i weird?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sandwich5027, Mar 17, 2014.

1. sandwich5027

sandwich5027 Banned

I have a newly purchased Ampeg V4BH and I use a P bass.....Now I have my bass at 1 oclock treble 11 oclock but my mids at 8 oclockish...I like the sound of that....Is this a mid scooped sound that players refer to? Too much mids have this weird sound of too present and over defined....almost like a fake plasticy sound.....Am I the only one?

2. SteveV74

SteveV74

Youre not weird, there are tons of players who love that sound, I scoop the mids right out of my Peavey tour 450, its all click , sizzle , and burn, and I love it.

3. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Media:
    Alone that may sound really nice.
    But, odds are it could be lost in a full band situation.
    Mids can be necessary in order to be heard in the mix.

If you like it and it works for you though, do it.

4. SteveV74

SteveV74

Yeah, or make the band change, lol.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sandwich5027

sandwich5027 Banned

ok so that is scooping mids....Sounds great....who the heck loves that honkey over done mid sound....and to cut through a mix in a band setting wouldn't one just up wattage.....Otherwise its like turning all your knobs up on amp....must sound awful

7. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

8. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 EBMM Nut Supporting Member

Plenty of people like that "overdone" sound. Remember that what you hear solo does not sound the same in the mix.

To cut through, or sit in the mix, proper EQ is necessary. Mids are part of that equation as much as bass and treble are.

9. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

while I can't entirely poo-poo what you like, I hope I may offer some insight you may not have considered:

When mixing a band, a sound guy will receive your signal, and EQ it to fit the band. First order will be to roll off everything under ~100Hz and give that to the kick drum. Second, they'll give everything over ~500Hz (or lower, as my guitarist will pitch a fit if he's not in the 200Hz range) and give it to the guitarists/keys. So what you're left with in the house is pretty much only your mids, which you have scooped out.

Now, this is a generalization, and every band is different, but this does cover the most common mixing techniques.
    As others have said, what sounds good by itself doesn't always sound good in the mix, and what sounds good in the mix doesn't always sound good by itself.
    Food for thought.

10. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Scooping mids hides dodge playing, but correspondingly hides a lot of the expression available from playing.

11. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

Good post. The stuff from 100 - 500 hz isn't "honkey" either, it's punchy.

12. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Supporting Member

I know you specifically called it out as a generalization, but any competent sound guys is NOT going to eq a bass channel like that. Not going to say I'm a world class FOH guy, but I've mixed a lot of shows and spent time with some other capable guys and that's just really bad. I would agree on the mid content though, it is VERY important to making sure that movement in your bass lines are actually heard. If you're just boosting lows, i guarantee nobody will know what you're playing without some serious hacking on the eq. Everything can be "slotted" to fit in a full mix...a scoopy bass, just like a scooped guitar tone, generally yields pretty bad results.

13. sandwich5027

sandwich5027 Banned

Yeah but to say bad results is too subjective.....Too much mid makes a great cab and amp almost sound like a 10w practice amp....Not literally but, you know what I mean....It takes away the bass' natural tone....Now granted P bass is mid sound already....you can def hear definition of notes being played.....I don't like bass over boosted either...or glassy highs that make me cringe

14. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

I like less mids when playing at home, as soon as I try that setting in a live context I'll invariably nudge up mids & maybe pull down some lows. I don't need to cut through a mix but I do need to be heard in the mix, otherwise whats the point of plugging in.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I generally go for a very slight midscoop...not honky mids but present. However, I also get weirded out at the "scoop is bad always" mentality on here. If Fieldy had listened to TBers, he wouldn't have a career.

16. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

At some point every bassist has to decide whether to play with/for himself or join the band to make an overall good sound. If what you do is not worth hearing or you don't add anything to band, scoop out the mids. If you you are a big name the FOH engineer will take care of your sound on the fly. Recorded sound and the live sound can be different. If someone is willing to slot around "your sound" great, most of us that will not happen.

17. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

Are you a pick player, use rounds or like a tweeter?
    What is the mid knob centre freq on your amp?

18. vin*tone

vin*tone

A lot may depend on your bass and cab too. I once had a P Bass where the mids were very harsh. Also - if you have a very middy cab - 8:00 on that knob of your amp/cab combo may very well be flat. Knob position doesn't tell the whole story.

19. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

Why I like the Marshall sound for my highs and high-mids, and Ampeg for its' syrupy low-mids.

The first thing I thought of when someone said "honky mids" is Aerosmith's "Walk This Way". I also think that's a soloed J bridge pickup sound helping there. I use primarily bridge on my Ric, but it's closer to a P position than a 1970's J.

20. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I use an Orange Terror 500 and I always crank the mids all the way up. It works for me. The mids are pretty crucial in a live setting with a band.

21. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Sounds like a win for all but one people.