1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I don't want to see Foreigner

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by powderfinger, Feb 26, 2014.

1. powderfinger

powderfinger

So, I am kinda irked. I told a friend a while back that I'd go see Foreigner with him and a couple other folks. I admit, I cheeze out on the old arena rock acts.. Journey, Styx, etc. Music of my childhood. I was jazzed about this.

Til I looked at their Wiki page, and saw that only Mick Jones is still with them, and that most of the guys in the band have been there a relatively short time.

I've heard this version of the band is great live. However, a buddy of mine said he saw them a while back, and Mick Jones only came out for a few songs. I asked is this typical, and he said he thoght so. Said it's sort of like how Chuck Panazo will join Styx onstage each show for a couple tunes.

Now Im pissed that I said I'd go. Listen, this band may be the lord's gift to musicianship, but it's not the real band, IMO. I'll go because I said I would, but damn. Just damn. I HATE when classic bands pull this ****.

2. fraublugher

fraublugher

Be a good lad and socialize with your friends , it's the perfect excuse to feather your mullet and/or pubes.

3. powderfinger

powderfinger

Oh, Im sure after my second beer, Ill be fist pumping to Head Games.

4. Twocanbassman

Twocanbassman

I have nothing to add, except that I love the title of this thread.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

When I was in college, my car was broken into. Didn't break the window, didn't smash the console, didn't steal the pile of CD's on the passenger seat (weren't into Danzig, I guess), didn't even slash the wiring harness. All they took was my head unit which contained the Foreigner CD that had been accompanying my screaming rendition of "I Want To Know What Love Is."

My punishment was mercifully swift and fair.:|

7. grenadilla

grenadilla

Foreigner is good! For about $17 I got a set at Wal-Mart with a live DVD, done on a Europe tour . The bass player has a Precision and gets a great tone with a pick. The singer is maybe 15 years younger than Mick Jones and sounds like Lou did on the records. The other guitar player also plays sax on "Urgent" (maybe the same guy?) Also included was a new-song CD (OK) and their hits remastered. They used a truckload of Marshall 412 cabinets; even the bass.

8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I saw them last fall. Mick Jones was absent. They had a guy sitting in for him. They sounded just like a recent television appearance I saw. Jeff Pilson (Dokken) was on bass. I enjoyed it.

9. Basshappi

Basshappi

Saw them on the Double Vision tour. They were very good.
    It's a shame when bands do this but hey, they need to eat and pay the rent too.

10. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Foreigner is still a great band. I prefer them with Lou Gramm but Kelly Hansen does a good job.

11. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

I saw them at the massive California Jam II in '78. They were one of the better bands that day.

35 years later.... no thanks. I wouldn't want to see them either

12. dalkowski

dalkowski

IMO, Mick Jones did his best work with Big Audio Dynamite.

:bag:

13. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

unfortunately the guy has had health problems since 2012. he is 69 years old after all.

but regardless of how you feel about original members, they are a great band. go to it with an open mind and enjoy it for what it is. too many people focus on things not being what they think they should be and miss out on great things because of it.

14. Big John66

Big John66

I saw them 2 or 3 years ago on a summer package tour thing. I'm not a huge fan, but they were really good. I got to meet Jeff Pilson after the show and he was a great dude. I'd go see them again just to support him.

15. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

:D Yeah, I much prefer THAT Mick Jones.

16. twistd

twistd Supporting Member

About a year ago, wives dragged me and a buddy to Journey/Foreigner show at Sleep Train Pavilion. Jeff Pilson and Kelly Hansen killed it, better than the original by far, and I had seen them at Day On the Green back in the day (I know hearesy, but they rocked). I was never a Dokken or Hurricane fan, but these guys nailed it. They were probably helped in a big way by Journey, who let everyone know the singer was not really Journey, then proceeded to cause massive discomfort and even nausea with Neal Schon's massively over volumed and underwhelming guitar solos. Positive is that wife is no longer a Journey fan (Thank you Neal!). I would certainly see Foreigner again.

17. Yup, worth the twenty bux or so to see Pilson and Hansen rip it up. Pretend you're seeing an "allstar tribute band" and you'll be fine:)

18. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Baer Amplification
    Yeah, that bass line to Hot Blooded really blows my mind! LOL. Seriously though, if the singer isn't even doing the show, then they should just hang it up. As far the the bass, drum, keys go, I think you can replace these guys just fine and nobody is going to even notice. I mean it's not like you are seeing Rush play without Neil playing drums, right? I can't think of one Foreigner bass line any kid with six months of experience couldn't play.

19. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I'm just glad it's not "Foreigner featuring Mick Jones."

20. Bob C

Bob C

Yeah, it's sad that the best Foreigner tribute band is ... Foreigner. I had not heard that about Mick Jones.

I hate when bands do that "Rock Star" (the movie) trip. I'm lookin' at YOU, Journey and Yes! I'll make an exception with Styx. Tommy/JY can coexist with Dennis DeYoung.

All that said, I've seen Foreigner with Kelly on TV and they were good.

21. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

+1