I formed a new band last night

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Richland123, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Richland123

Richland123

I formed a new band last night.

Last fall, my very successful band of 12-1/2 years dissolved. The other guys did not want to put in any effort and we all went our separate ways. We are still friends.

I started to receive numerous offers to join existing bands, do fill in work, and players who wanted to start a new band with me. I decided to work with some players who I know are good musicians who also sing, with good attitudes, and they want to work as often as possible. I joined up with a guitarist/singer who I have known for 40 years but never worked with him. We found a drummer/singer and rehearsed for two months but he could not seem to drag himself away from his current band. I, then, called a friend of mine who plays drums, keyboards, and sings and he was very interested as we have been talking for years how it would be great to work together.

Well, the three of us got together last night and decided to move forward as a new band and we had a great first practice. I sure did not want to start a new band again but I feel very fortunate to have found the right musicians, which is not always easy, and it sounds really good so far.

The bonus is that we all have bookings and I do not have to carry all the load of managing the band, which I have always done all of the work in every previous band and we already have 15 bookings with more venues waiting for us to call them.

Now, the fun of trying to come up with a good name!

2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Very cool - keep us updated. Oh and name the band something simple that people can easily remember.

3. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi Mr. Richland123,

Ah, yes. I love the honeymoon phase with a new band. ;)

"The Simpletons"? :D

j/k :p

I wish you all the luck in your new endeavor. It sounds like you've all got the right attitude and skills to make some good music and have lots of fun.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

4. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Have a blast!

And yes, do keep us updated.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

"Richland" ??

7. faulknersj

faulknersj Gold Supporting Member

Congrats!! Chemistry...musically and personally...is everything!

8. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Old Dogs with New Tricks

9. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrts! It is very hard to find the right group of guys to play with IMO, guys you gel with. Its not as east as it seems. There are so many things that have to line up just right for it to work. Hold on to it as long as you can. Im sure you dont need to be told that though. Good stuff!

10. Richland123

Richland123

My new band update.

After just a few weeks, the band already has had some drastic changes. I have quite a number of good paying and high profile gigs booked including headlining some festivals and opening for some national recording acts and the original guitarist/singer (who I had been rehearsing with for four months) baled on us for no good reason and left us hanging with commitments and not much time before our first gig in May. He was becoming wishy washy about a number of things and was auditioning for other bands without our knowledge. He has never been in a "professional' band situation before and always was with bands and players who were not serious or run things as a business. We feel he did not want to dedicate the time and effort required for the band after all.

Well, sometimes things are meant to be the way they turn out. The drummer/singer/keyboardist used to play with a guitarist/singer with a great reputation who used to play in Neil Diamond's back up band and on records as well as in back up bands for Tommy James, The Temptations, Spanky & Our Gang, The Marcels, and many other acts. Last night, we got together and it quickly developed into a new lineup with 3 lead singers who can harmonize well. The material also changed from more of a classic rock format to more of a party dance format with oldies, classic rock, 80s, new songs, etc.

We had to come up with a new name quickly because of advertising for a big show soon and we decided to call the band Three Of Hearts since we are 3 piece. Not really my choice for a name but it will do. As the guitarist stated, the name won't make the band, we will make the name.

Well, I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is the permanent lineup and get started. I am also getting to play some songs already that I have always liked but never played in my life. The first song we did last night was Come And Get Your Love by Redbone, which is fun to play.

11. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Yikes! I'm sure you guys will put together a great show. Like my uncle always said, "If you try something and it doesn't work, try something else." He was a great man.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff