1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

I found this bass that had really THICK bass strings?!?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Donavan321, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Donavan321

Donavan321

Aug 31, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I was doing my routine pawn shop hunt and scouring. I like finding interesting basses. So anyway I came across this Indiana Precision bass, maple neck( I bought the bass for the neck) for $40! So this bass had these really THICK fat strings, larger gauge than 45-105. They were HUGE. I was curious as to what they may be, they looked like flatwounds, but I didn't play them...so I'm uncertain. I like my standard gauge roundwounds. Anyway, the neck went onto a parts jazz bass body and I'm making it look like a Geddy Lee jazz, except the body is a translucent blue/green sunburst. Let me know all thoughts, thanks!

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Maybe they were the BEAD strings from a 5-string set? Did you try tuning them up or measuring them at all?

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Disclosures:
    Social Media Manager & Product Development for GHS Strings
    Could've also been a heavy set of strings, like a 50-115. That's not uncommon.

5. Donavan321

Donavan321

Aug 31, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I didn't try tuning them up. I think they were 50-115, that would make more sense. They were very heavy gauge strings. Thanks guys!