1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

I gave up...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Torkk, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Torkk

Torkk

2. unclebass

unclebass

That is the first 5 string I ever played. I actually find it easier to play than my MIM Jazz V. Not sure if it is the wider string spacing or the flatter neck radius, but I am looking into getting it back in my hands. Just wish it wasn't black.
  3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I had one of these in the discontinued Olympic White, and lemme tell ya…it was a beauty. It looked fantastic, sounded great and gave me a finer appreciation of the humidity/temperature resistance the ebonol fretboard possessed. Unfortunately, it seems five-stringers just aren't for me. Live and learn, yes?

Enjoy the heck out of it, Torkk! Post some pics.
  4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Keep an eye out and you just might find a used white model, assuming it's to your taste.
  5. Torkk

Torkk

Sadly Im taking it back and looking for a 4 string version instead. Im not ready for 5 string
  6. jmcorn

jmcorn Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Praise and Worship bassist member #1232
    It takes a little bit of getting used to a 5, but once you do it is nice having the extra flexibility. I could go without the G string but the b string is a must.
  7. wvbass

wvbass

Less than 24 hours on the five string? You give up quickly. And you returned your Toby over a pickup height issue and a couple stripped screws?

I recommend you stick with your next instrument and learn to make it work. Good luck with your search.
  8. Torkk

Torkk

Yeah, Im very hard to please. Thats probably why Im single lol.
    Seriously though the Toby sounded ok it lacked any sustain. The Deluxe 5 sounds awesome but the 5th is throwing me off. Looks like i have to special order the 4string. **** my 1st bass I had for 15 years
  9. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Note that the Deluxe 5er is the only Fender/Squier 5er with a full traditional 4-string string spacing interval of 19mm at the bridge, which is very wide for some people.
  10. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Exactly, you didnt give up playing a 4 string after 24 hours so give the 5 more time.

That said I really dont like basses more then 4 strings at all. Some just dont.
  11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Probably the reason why the op didn't want it. I can relate though, took me a while to find one that would work - had a Fender Jazz that I found too wide (very nice, but not comfortable) and I also had a Squier MB5 which the string spacing was too narrow but it was comfortable. Found the one that worked for me finally- a Sterling Sub Ray 35. Just perfect for my hands.
  12. spz8

spz8

Yeah, it's awesome. I wish they'd make a 6 string version with that spacing, I'd buy it in a second! :hyper:
  13. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

If you don't mind me asking, how much do these run? A 4 stringer anyway. Those look like really nice basses.
  14. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

15. wvbass

wvbass

I'm single too, but that is more about my own personality defects than anything else. :)

I like four string basses of all varieties. Everything seems to work for me. Not so with fivers. The combination of string spacing, nut width, and scale length make much more differenceto me hear. I have a fiver with 20mm string spacing, 35" scale, and is over 2 inches at the nut. I don't often get along with it. I have another with 17.5mm spacing, a 1.75" nut and 34" scale that is a lot friendlier to me. I have several other fivers, and no two have the same combination of those three measurements. Some of them suit me better than others.

Maybe try a bunch of fivers before giving up? Or maybe just find a four you love? Since you are hard to please (your words), I'd be hesitant to special order or otherwise purchase something you can't play first. Just make sure you can return it.