I get in good shape then stress spoils it

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Icey101

Icey101

I work out a fair bit and try to eat right, but when office work piles on and the hours become long i just can't resist eating junk, its like I can't stand getting stressed from the outside and inside at the same time. Now I've got my small gut back and its times to start reducing my food intake, its like a never ending cycle. Has anyone learned how to stay in shape consistantly while under stress?
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

Time to find other ways of dealing with your stress besides eating... And at least you have the understanding of what you're doing, putting that into practice is the follow up.
  3. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Have you tried bringing lots of healthy snacks with you? Fruit, nuts, hard boiled eggs. Sometimes it is not how much we eat but what we eat. Just staying away from processed food and surgary snacks might make a difference.
  4. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

Yes. Stop eating junk completely. I gave up junk and sweets completely a few years ago and never went back despite some terrible ordeals I have been through recently.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

This is how it was explained to me, and I'll try to be brief so no doubt some finer details are missing from my analogy.......point A is you not snacking on junk food. Point B is you snacking on junk food. Identify what is physically enabling you to get from point A to point B and eliminate it.

In my case, it was eating late at night. I solved my getting from point A to point B by going to bed earlier. I could have also stopped buying the junk food and replace it with healthy food, but I knew that wouldn't work. Not everyone finds a bowl of raisins or almonds as appealing as Dorito's. :D

Once I broke the chain of enabling my poor eating choices, I was then able to address what I was eating.

-Mike
  7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Sugar is the underestimated enemy. It's psychoactive and addictive, the more you eat the less it works, necessitating an increase in the consumption. Stabilised blood sugar level with proper food gets you feeling better and it doesn't take much exercise to seal the deal. I have a feeling you know all that but have trouble putting it into practice.

In my case, feeling good I can forget. One chocolate bar for a quick fix puts me on the edge of a downward spiral, much like an alcoholic.
  8. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Yup. That's been my problem and why i'm 35 pounds heavier than ten years ago. I hate it. Trying to change my habits (cookies and crackers=gone) but turns out at mid 30's, i don't lose weight like I used to. Its to the point i'm trying to avoid mirrors because my mental image of what i look like and the one the mirror sends back doesn't match....
  9. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

For me now i try to not have any snacking food around, healthy or not. This is the worst for me. Salty or sweet, healthy or not if its around i will eat it in large amounts (and at some point in a certain amount even healthier food starts adding up to way too many calories). The willpower for me happens at the grocery (or convenience) store, once it's in the house, forget it, i will not be abel to resist it. Sure sometimes i feel like i could really go for a snack and sometimes go to bed pretty hungry but that's how it has to be.

Another thing i cut entirely is pasta. Pasta is terrible and like snack food, its like i can't just have a reasonable amount of it... And when youre poor like me, its hard not to buy it too, because its cheap and feeds you for a long while.
  10. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Pasta has become my new best friend. I don't have the time in the day to worry about steaming veggies or cooking meat.
  11. ZenG

ZenG

Working out and many exercise routines that people use today is a form of stress of it's own.

The "more is better" ideology still prevails bigtime in many exercise plans.

This is in large part fueled by some arsehole's mantra that was adopted early on which reads "No pain no gain" followed by "Go big or go home".

Exercise can relieve stress,yes.........but if you listen to half the dingbat exercise gurus out there you won't be relieving stress ....you'll be creating it.

You need to carefully consider what the exercise plan that you adopt is doing to your CNS.......(Central Nervous System)......you mess with the CNS, you are affecting a lot of immune physiology and stress response.

Most of the general public that signs up for gym clubs or exercise plans have absolutely no idea when it comes to CNS effects, cycling of work loads , recovery times or anything else .......and they are easy prey for the " exercise sergeant/ dictator" because they'll believe anything he tells them.
  12. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

The "no pain no gain" and "go big or go home" mantras certainly have their place, though granted, that may not be for everyone. It's for those who are wanting to try and excel at gym work or sports, those who want to push their bodies that bit further, sit on the edge of what they can handle.

IME, most of the regular gym going types aren't getting anywhere near the stage where they need to worry about cycling workloads, heck, for many recovery time doesn't have to be a major consideration. Don't think I've ever seen someone stressed in the gym either, at least not in the negative psychological way. You have to overtrain fairly badly to have any major negative impact on your CNS.