1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I give up! (pickup version)

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by hdiddy, Nov 4, 2012.

1. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

I had a similar thread going on in the Strings forum.

Was just happy with the BP-100 - sounded great, no issues. Of course my teach (who was a BP diehard) just said to me last week, "Hey I stopped using the BP and now only do a realist for the past year or so. I want to hear a realist on your bass". Well ok... so I find a nice one thanks to another TBDBer.

After futzing with a fallen soundpost, I get the pickup installed.

What? I couldn't believe my ears. I thought the BP was great on my carved Cleve... the realist KILLS it. ***? Played through Pro-Plat EQ->Focus SA->Wizzy 10. At low volumes, it was transparent - the kind of transparent like I couldn't tell the amp was on. Had to turn the volume down to know that the amp was working. Reminded me of when I played through the PBJ Flightcase without the upfiring speakers. At higher volumes it was blissful. EQ-wise, I had to actually cut the mid ranges just to get a natural sound. The pickup's output is very hot for me.

Yay - now I can go back to using the big ol rubber mute much easier.

Just goes to show if your'e serious about this stuff, you really do need a drawer full of pickups that goes right next to the drawer full of strings - just to get the right match for the bass. Gets rather expensive.

So far the Cleve works best (in order of preference):
    Realist
    BP100
    Ehrlund
    Full Circle

Go figure.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

Congrats! It's a beautiful thing when you find that front end of your signal chain. I never went through the "drawer full of strings" thing, but I went through a small closet full of pickups, mics, blenders, cables, preamps, amps, etc. before finding the current "plug and make some music" setup. Enjoy!

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

...never had a drawer full of string or pickups. Was very happy with the Rev Solo. For me, the Ehrlund is head and shoulders above anything I've tried.

Whatever your choice, as Chris says, when you find the one that works for you, it's a wonderful thing. That is, until... :bag:

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

That's the thing. I was content with the BP - no nonsense, get'er done type of sound for me, better than the rest. My impression of the realist prior to this is that it sounds tubby judging by other peoples recordings. People said that the 45 angle on the FC is what a realist sounds like. I heard it and I wasn't particular impressed with the FC impression of a realist.

Now having the real thing, it sounds nothing like the FC. Time to put the other stuff up for sale.

I certainly will enjoy it now!

5. Register to disable this ad