1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I got a douglas SPB 1100 for Christmas

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by badstonebass, Dec 31, 2013.

1. badstonebass

badstonebass

So since there seems to be little as far as reviews I thought it may be helpful to put one up.

A little history. I am not a "bassist", I started playing bass 10/15 years ago as I got a gig as "Gene" in a KISS trib. I don't consider myself a great bassist, I am certainly a far better guitarist. However I love to play bass and my main gig for the last 7 years or so has been bass in a popular local cover band gigging around 100 shows a year. So "real" bassists can take my review with a grain of salt.

[​IMG]

I got the bass as a gift from the wife. I wanted it because IMO it looked cool. It came with a case.

I have a Schecter Stiletto Custom, a Gene Simmons Punisher, and a Fender P/J. Compared to these basses it has a way more old school, woody sound. I like it. Maybe it is the fact that all my other basses are active but this thing sounds really different...not better or worse really but it certainly has more GRUNT as a description. I was afraid that the bass would feedback at show volume but I cranked it up and it is fine. The setup out of the box was adequate and I won't be tweaking it until I get a few gigs in. It for sure needs some NUT work once it settles. Strings seem ok so I will use them until they die.

Bad points are few. One thing is that it has a black headstock but the Rondo site shows white...I hate it but not worth sending it back over. The worst part is the black is badly applied over the white with some kind of mask that was done pretty sloppily. There is also one small area on the binding that looks like someone slipped with the sanding belt, but honestly I could have done it...didn't notice it at first but you know how that is. The biggest problem is that the bridge doesn't seat right on the posts...it tilts forward!? Doesn't seem to make much difference in sound or playability but we will see. I may be changing that.

That's all for now. Will post a little more after a couple gigs are under its belt.

Hope your wife is as good as mine.

2. Immigrant

Immigrant

Congrats! It's lovely!

3. vmabus

vmabus Supporting Member

You ARE a real bassist...

4. KeithAlanK

KeithAlanK

Agreed.
    100 shows a year for 7 years equals way more than most people.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Basshappi

Basshappi

Congrats on the new bass.

Yes indeedy. You can try to rationalize it all you want but you're one of us. :smug:

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 nice bass

8. LegoBass

LegoBass

Nice bass man, congrats! I got myself one just like yours back in May. Just like yours, the binding around the edge and F-holes isn't great, but looks really good from a distance. Mine on the other hand, did come with a white headstock and looks just like the one they have on the website.

Also unlike yours, mine came with an awful setup, almost every fret buzzed. I reajusted the truss rod, but I then realized that the nut was cut to deep, really clean, but much to deep. I changed the strings and stuck a tiny piece of paper under each string and now it plays like a dream. For the price, it really is an amazing instrument. Congrats man, enjoy your new bass!

9. badstonebass

badstonebass

I have never mastered the instrument. I only can play the songs that I need too, I use a pick, can't slap. I never pick it up unless I am playing a gig or learning a song.

To me a REAL bassist is one who the bass is their main instrument. They can demonstrate a reasonable amount of bass technique. They play it because the bass is what they WANT to play. My guitar ability far exceeds what I can do on the bass.

Playing LIVE I LOVE the bass....sitting in a room alone I pretty much don't. I am decently proficient in classic rock style bass.

So to me I am the BASS Player...not a bassist.

BUT if you guys say I am a "bassist" I have no problem with that :D

10. Milk

Milk

Ive been considering that bass. See, i think the EB-2 is the prettiest bass ever made and have been looking at similar looking semi hollows for a while. The problem is i'm worried tone wise it wouldn't be what i want. Most semi hollows have a neck pickup which is reputed as sounding muddy. Basically good for classic rock. The problem is i don't like classic rock tones.... You said it sounds woody so i suppose considering i like a trebley, punchy tone this wouldn't work for me? Damn you semi hollows for looking so great....

11. badstonebass

badstonebass

Through my Sansamp I can get this bass to sound pretty much any way I like. I dialed in a classic rock punchy "P-Bass" like tone with little effort.

The pickups are NOT muddy at all, I think they are a little mid heavy for totally clean but with a few tweaks you have a great SVTish moan.

12. Milk

Milk

God i don't know...so tempted. Maybe i just will and sell it if i dont like it..that's what people do. Not like you can try one of those in a shop...

Thanks though, that helps. This is one of the best looking hollow body out there shape wise, most are too different from the EB-2. I might just have to do it and then hope for the best.

Edit: I jsut realised the head is different than the one on the site, i mean yeah its black but its also shaped differently, much better than the one on the site. Im gonna assume they all come with that one now. An improvement. I didnt like the headstock they had on the site much

13. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

What's the scale length of that beauty?

14. Milk

Milk

15. randyripoff

randyripoff Supporting Member

Midscale, eh? Now I'm gassing... :D

Lovely bass.:bassist:

16. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Hmm... Nice bass. May have to grab one.

I agree with the general consensus. You ARE a bassist. Doesn't matter if you've mastered it yet, I've been playing since 1981 and I don't feel like I've mastered it either.

Keep groovin'.

17. vmabus

vmabus Supporting Member

It is a journey, not a destination...

18. Riverrunsred

Riverrunsred

Good Lord man, nobody ever really "masters" an instrument...just take the comps and go with it.

Having said all of that.....congrats on the new bass !

19. happygilmour

happygilmour Supporting Member

Ordered mine in black today. Black is on sale for $249!

20. badstonebass

badstonebass

Cool...liked the black but needed the white. :D

21. badstonebass

badstonebass

Took the bass on it's first gig last night. All went well until I had to play the bass solo in "All Right Now" buy Free. I had ran through most of our songs to make sure that I could use this bass but forgot about this section as we don't play it all that often.

For me it was REALLY difficult to play as my large hands could not reach those high notes on this bass very cleanly. I am certain that with some practice I will be able to pull it off better but as of now it is near impossible.

On that note I found that this bass is a little dead above the 12th fret or so. Usable but not great. Maybe after I do some setup tweaking it will be better.

Otherwise the bass was comfortable and played well.