I had a minor epiphany.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tupac, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Tupac

Tupac

Over the years, I guess I've developed a habit of tilting the bass toward my chest so I can see the frets as I play. That made it very hard for me to use moveable anchor while I played with forearm up, because when I do that, the back of my thumb raises up, so I can't mute the E when anchoring on A. However, this problem solved that. I guess it's one of the reasons I have trouble playing standing up, because I can't tilt it towards me. Just thought I'd share this.

2. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

I've never been able to see the fingerboard in 32 years of bass playing. Side dots are where it's at. As for muting, other than the string I land on after plucking, all of my muting (whatever that means) is done with my fingering hand.

I would add that there seems to be this obsession on TB regarding muting. I've done many hundreds of gigs, a dozen or so recording sessions, and muting never even crossed my mind until I joined here. Either I've just been doing it right all along or this is another one of those things that TB indicates you're "supposed to do."

3. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

to me the bass is always a little tilted ... I can see a little the front of the fingerboard and I don,t have any problem using floating thumb and I don't wrap my thumb around the neck.

If the bass isn't tilted a little my plucking hand will be a 90degree bend because of the body ... and it hurts a lot in less than a minute. when tilted I can keep both hand as straight as possible without being tense.

4. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

I'd think if it was a problem for you, you'd have noticed by now! Unwanted ringing strings would stand out on recordings. I didn't have (or notice, as a beginner) a problem on four strings but really noticed that the B would ring on a 5 until I sorted my right hand technique.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tupac

Tupac

That only applies to sitting I find. When I stand up, it goes 90 degrees.

7. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Hum maybe it is the way I keep my bass with a strap because it is pointing up so I can keep both hand quite straight. Think John Patitucci, Bunny Brunel and Alain Caron kind of position

8. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

It seems to me that the biggest problem with tilting the bass back toward your chest is the effect it has on your LEFT hand position: The greater the tilt, the more sharply bent your left wrist will be. And that's not good.

9. backup

backup

add james brown era bootsy collins to the list.

i do the same. strap relatively high and bass vertical. its also quit comfortable and i can play with 100% proper technique

@muting: there are hundreds of bass players that neglect muting and their playing is bad! they mount their thumb on the pickup and play while all those low notes ring and create horrible mudd.

i realized my RH technique problems when i first played on a 5 (or 6?) string. but i realized the importance of muting when i first recorded myself. since then i dont tolerate a single ringing string!!!! the mix sounds so much clearer and better when there are no "i dont care for technique" guitards or bass players.

some people are naturals though and you wont hear a note ring that isnt suppose to. but rare