I had an unexpected NBD, and stuck my foot in my mouth - a tale of two Warwicks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jamestown94west, Feb 3, 2013.

1. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

I picked up an awesome used Warwick Thumb BO 5, 3 weeks ago. It was a big deal, my fiance and I had to road trip 4 hours one way and spend the night out of town in order to make the deal happen. A Thumb BO 5 has been at the top of my must have list for almost 15 years. Its a big deal to me to finally have a Warwick, especially this one.

Fast forward to 7 days after we get home from the road trip. I'm cruising my local craigslist, as I'm wont to do. I'm about ready to put the phone down and call it a night when I find an ad for a Warwick Rockbass Corvette 4 string for trade. Just so happens the fella wants to trade for some stuff that I happen to have. So I get in touch with him, and we strike up a deal. Cool.

I'm not a gear snob, but I do like nice gear. That doesn't necessarily mean expensive gear, but I tend to not like cheapo/entry level stuff. My #1 is a franken jazz that's mostly vintage squier parts. I've also got a squier classic vibe project bass, the second one I've owned. Point is, I tend to like nice gear, and I'm known to fawn over inexpensive quality gear.

So.

Everything I've heard about rockbass has been via talkbass. I've mostly heard all kinds of stuff about how the newer rockbass with the "W" on the head stock, and the two piece bridge are much more coveted than the older ones that say "ROCKBASS" in huge font on the headstock, and have the high mass gotoh style bridge.

This rockbass I picked up is one of the older ones. I expected to not like it, as I'm eyeball deep in the honey moon phase with my thumb, a bass I've pined for, for almost two decades.

So I tell my fiance that I'm getting this second Warwick, and I'll just flip it, to help buy her an electric piano. She's wanted one forever, we've been shopping for one several times. I figure, I've got my Warwick, I'll get her a piano, its only fair.

I get the rockbass home, and don't play it for a day or so. When I finally do, I discover that not only does feel good, and play good, it sounds freakin great. Its got active electronics, and they sound great. The bass is super light, and super comfortable. I gigged with it last Thursday, and I really liked how it held up at the gig.

At this point I'm willing to donate plasma, sperm, internal organs, or submit myself to medical testing, possibly even take on a second job just so I can keep this bass.

I know I'm making myself look bad here. This bass rocks, and I'll use it if I keep it. I play in two bands, and having a few different basses is handy. I'm not hoarding gear, I only have three basses right now, and it would stay that way.

What would you guys do?

I don't have the cash to buy a piano unless I sell a bass.

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Nothing wrong with hoarding gear. Surely you have something else you can sell. Have you explained how you feel to your fiance? She may understand.

Bottom line, keep the bass bro. ALWAYS keep the bass.

3. notverygood

notverygood

If she's a great girlfriend, sell the bass. They are harder to find then a good bass. Which is similar to a bass you already have.

4. Wallace320

Wallace320

I'm divorcing right now, so I might not be the very best on women side, yet: c'mon... Get her a piano, sell that... Bass
    I mean: you got a warwick thumb right now

Do I have to tell more?!

Cheers,
    Wallace

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

Rockbasses are a dime a dozen. A good woman cannot be bought.

7. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

If you're drolling over an old RockBass, sorry to break it to you, but your standards are not as high as you say they are :)

Kidding aside, if I were you, I'd sell it and buy her the piano. My marriage taught me the key to harmony is knowing when to make a personal sacrifice to make her happy - it's well worth. You can't have it your way all the time, and sometimes letting a thing you really like go just to show her how important she is to you might score you some big points in the long run :) Who know, maybe in the (near) future she might surprise you with a Warwick bass :)

8. jlepre

jlepre

You're single RIGHT?

She's his FIANCE, not just a GIRLFRIEND. I do agree that he should sell SOMETHING. If not THIS bass, something.

9. throbgod13

throbgod13 Supporting Member

just sell the Rockbass..

10. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum) Gold Supporting Member

I think you should tell your fiance you had to ask a bunch of strangers on the net what you should do in this situation; then maybe she'll find someone who deserves her.

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Nope. Been happily married for 11 years. Thing is, I would sell something or do a side job to get that keyboard. I would NOT get rid of a bass I loved and my wife would not expect me to.;)

12. greggster59

greggster59 Supporting Member

A deal's a deal. Make good on your word. In the end, it's all you have.

It's better to have have played a Rockbass and lost than to never have played a Rockbass at all.

Cheers!

13. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

Ouch

14. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

Ouch

15. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

The bass won't stop pleasuring you the longer you have it and will never complain, no matter how much you spank it. Keep the bass at all costs.

Yes, I'm married.

16. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

Words of wisdom

17. jlepre

jlepre

not happily I'm afraid

18. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

I've sold lots of gear to appease significant others over the years. I've sold basses just to cover my fiances bank account, more than once. I'm not as selfish as I may seem, I can post pics of the new SUV I bought her 6mo ago, parked next to the pos minivan I had to downgrade to. I'm not usually against doing whatever is necessary to take care of my lady. But dangit, this bass has me by the short and curlys.

19. topo morto

topo morto

Get a real piano, they are free. At least round these parts.

20. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

We don't have anywhere to put one without removing most of our furniture. We need a piano that can be put away when not in use.

We actually had an old upright grand at our old house, but when we bought this house we're in now, we had to get rid of it.

21. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What a lame, and uncalled for comment.

Why can't she buy herself an electric piano? Why is it up to him to buy it for her?

If he is going to help her, he should do so on his terms. I would just tell her, "I didn't realize this would be such a great player. I want to keep it. As soon as I can, I'll help you buy that keyboard."

I love all those chivalrous guys who want to tell strangers whether or not they deserve their girlfriends or fiancees. Hey, I don't deserve my wife. Why don't you come on out here and steal her from me? I hope you have money, and a lot of patience.