1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I have a PreSonus Firebox but no firewire inputs on my Dell

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by kevmc28, Feb 16, 2012.

1. kevmc28

kevmc28

What are my cheapest options? The soundcard has a 15 hole midi port and USB inputs. I'm not ready to get a new machine and I'd rather not dump a lot of money on a new soundcard.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. portlandguy

portlandguy

USB to Firewire converter will run you less than $30

3. warnergt

warnergt

4. jgriffin

jgriffin

Per your not wanting to buy a new soundcard - there's no reason to do that. Firewire ports aren't found on soundcards.

Drivers for firewire audio interfaces on windows can be unstable, so I'm not sure I'd advise the usb to firewire converter. It might work, but a firewire card is not expensive either. If you have an open PCI slot on your motherboard, you should be looking at a dedicated firewire card - and you definitely want one with the texas instruments (TI) chipset. Non-TI chipsets are essentially unsupported by many audio interface vendors.

e.g.: Newegg.com - SIIG 1394 3-port PCI Card Model NN-440012-S8

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dmac1961

dmac1961 Supporting Member

If it's a laptop, I have a PCMIA firewire card for sale.

7. moles

moles

Considering the price difference between a "cheap" firewire card, and a top tier one - get a good, stable one with a TI chipset.

8. kraigo

kraigo

Good advice, mostly. I'd be worried about a USB 2.0 to Firewire converter. I have a FireBox and it's been pretty good about working with any decent Firewire card. I've used a Trendnet PCMCIA, non-TI based, and it was fine.

Go for the larger (six pin vs. four pin) Firewire jack if you can, so you can power the FireBox through it instead of requiring a wall wart. With Windows 7 I have to manually set the card back to 48KHz to play back Windows audio. Once aware of it, it's not a big deal.

KO

9. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

10. agreatheight

agreatheight

this

11. EricF

EricF Habitual User

That ^

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

You don't need a soundcard anymore, the interface replaces it. Actually you need to plug your speakers to the interface.
    USB to Firewire is a bad idea.
    Use a PCI (desktop) or pcmcia (laptop) card.

13. portlandguy

portlandguy

Yeah Id go with the card, I did not know the price of them

14. DigitalMan

DigitalMan

Pci or pcie depending on your motherboard. A good new card is about $30 on newegg.

A TI chipset is a must.

Let me repeat that.

A TI chipset is a must.

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

TI aka not a Micron

16. Brian at IK

Brian at IK

Disclosures:
    IK Multimedia Community Support
    I got an Inland Firewire PCIe card with a TI chipset and a Molex power connector for stable power striaight from the PSU, and it works flawlessly with my Presonus Firewire units (Firebox and FireStudio Mobile).

Buy.com - Inland PCI-Express 4 Port Firewire 1394A (NEC Chipset)

It says (NEC Chipset) but it is clear even in the photo it is TI. Also says "4-port" but it's only 3.

BTW, TI chipset is not necessary with Presonus units, They work great with VIA and perhaps others as well. TI chipsets will work well with everything, which is why they have the best reputation, but for the most part it is really only MOTU devices that don't play nice with non-TI.

17. kevmc28

kevmc28

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm going take all this into account when I get something. I may even have more questions down the road...like how that chipset connects to my computer! Who knows.

Thanks for coming through for me!

18. sonic assassin

sonic assassin

19. Tupac

Tupac

Wait a minute... wouldn't getting a Firewire to USB converter nullify all the benefits of getting a Firewire interface, since it's still coming to your computer via USB? I thought the benefit of Firewire was reduced lag, and this would create more lag.

20. moles

moles

^^^ Probably why just about everyone in this thread is against the idea...

21. KingRazor

KingRazor

Does the OP have speakers that can connect to an audio interface? I know mine can't.