1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I have a really stupid beginner Labella Flatwound question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dredmahawkus, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    Ok well I just got into bass....I played guitar for a few years quit and decided 20 years later I wanted to play bass. I bought a new fender jazz....been playing it about a month with stock roundwounds. I just got a setup the other day and had him put on Labella 760fl flats. at first I loved them they were so smooth and nice on my fingers. now they feel like they are square strings! literally square! like I can put my plucking finger on the E A D and they feel like they have flat spots all along where I pluck! now is that a normal feeling for flats? or is that normal for your fingers to get like that from playing so much? or is it all in my head? the strings feel square!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    New one on me. Sounds like maybe they would benefit from a good wipedown with a rag.

3. Metaldood19

Metaldood19

Maybe it's just me but I always wash my hands before I play and give my strings a thorough wipedown when I'm done playing. Sweat and dirt build up easily on all strings.

4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

On the completely opposite side of that advice, I just got done eating popcorn and I wiped my hands on the strings. I love flats that are as dead as a door nail.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    I am obsessive compulsive about washing my hands! Its only November and my hands are all cracking open from washing them so much! I make sure I wash off all hand lotion before playing so nothing gets on the guitar or strings! the guitar doesnt have a finger print on it. its like brand new. probably just the calluses from playing so much.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Maybe you need to add some hand lotion and rub it in well before playing. Could be your fingers are too dry.

8. soulman969

soulman969

Maybe those are the new super flat wounds that have taken the term "flat" to a whole new level. ;)

9. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Sounds maybe like you have developed callouses, and this is what you are feeling?

Have you inspected the strings visually? I've never heard of anything like this, unless the strings were pressed too hard against the frets in a gigbag, for example, causing dents.