1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I Have the Ampeg Itch!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lilcrate, Jan 30, 2014.

1. lilcrate

lilcrate Tortdaddy

I have a Aguilar Tone Hammer 500, but have recently been gassing to try an Ampeg head out. What would be a good comparable (as far as power, features, etc) head to test the waters with that is fairly affordable?

There are some pf500 on GC used for 250-300 and an SVT 450 for 350 and SVT-7 Pro around 500. I want to get something that does a pretty good job at delivering the Ampeg tone to ensure I'm giving it a fair fight in a "tone off" with my Aguilar.

Running through 2 DB112NT's, which I'm "assuming" will do an okay job of delivering the Ampeg tone...

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Whatever you do, do not buy the SVT-450. All the SS SVT knockoffs sound terrible in my experience. Nothing like an SVT.

I hear good things about the PF-500 but I would be wary of buying a used one, they have a high failure rate and Ampeg does not honour their warranty unless you are the original owner. The two Vietnampegs I owned both had issues, one failed catastrophically and the other got returned before it could, I personally have been soured on the brand, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

3. lilcrate

lilcrate Tortdaddy

So what you are saying is, if I want the Ampeg sound, shell out the dough...

4. High Camp

High Camp

If you want to buy used, I would test it first.
    Personally I think the PF500 and the PF800 (that's the one I've got) are great.
    And IMHO you can easily prevent failure of the heads.
    You'll get Ampeg tone, almost as good as a (for instance) V-4B, but for much less money.
    If you can, try it out with your cab(s) to see if the match works.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fishinmuzician

fishinmuzician

I can't disagree with High Camp about a test drive for a used amp. I had cabs that didn't match up that great with either of the solid state models. I own and use the PF-500, 7-Pro, and V-4B reissue. The PF and 7-Pro are over two years old. V-4B is four months old. All the amps get that Ampeg tone. The PF is really good. 7-Pro is better, and V-4B is best. Keep the clip light flashing on the PF and 7-Pro and they both get a nice grind. The 7-Pro does it a little better and, IMHO, is more touch sensitive ... the more you dig in, the closer you get to the SVT sound. You would probably be pleased with any of them, but if you can swing it, grab the V-4B. Once I played it at a couple gigs, my SVT-CL was sold. It was everything I loved about the CL, but lighter and I don't need 300 watts anymore. If I do, the 7-Pro is waiting.

Good luck with the hunt!

7. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

I've played through an Ampeg 350h and a 450h (both solid state) and wasn't terribly impressed with either one. The low end sounded pretty good but from the G string on up , I thought they just sounded like any other solid state amp.I had a chance to get the 350h pretty cheap but after A-B ing it with my Peavey mark6XP ,I stayed with the Peavey. The Peavey sounded much more even all the way up the neck IMO.All comparisons were with an Ampeg 8 10e cab. I have a friend that has an Ampeg combo with 2 10's in it and I thought it sounded darn good.(Don't know the exact model though) I finally bit the bullet and picked up an SVT classic head. If you are looking for THE Ampeg tone , this is it. Blows anything else I have tried out of the water.(again with an 8 10e cab.)I haven't personally tried any of the other Ampeg products so I will not comment on them though I hear really good things about the PF series and the V4B. As to reliabillity issues , I buy used stuff. and it has been my experience that if it hasn't
    crapped out after a year or so (and the stuff I buy is well past a year old) it will last a lifetime.YMMV

8. Linnin

Linnin

Avoid Ampeg Like The Palgue! Their reputation for catastrophic failure is well earned, and well avioded.

9. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Says you.

There were problems with the PF 500 amps for a while, but it seems like we haven't heard anything about them in a while. Me personally, I'm running a PF-350 through a 4 ohm 4X10 cab, and it ******* growls! Plenty loud to keep up in a rock band, and has a good tone for my upright for the country band. I've used it for about 2 dozen shows and twice as many rehearsals since October, and not a single problem. No heat, no cutting out, no drop in volume. Just pure tone.

10. svp

svp

I have a Ampeg SVP PRO pre-amp, gives me all kinds of Ampeg tone for the same or less cost as a traditional amp head, and with my QSC PLX2402 and my 2 Berg NV6x10's I can do demolition work on the side:D

11. Slade N

Slade N sunn #91 AZ Bands #? Supporting Member

pickup the svt preamp and run it thru your power section

12. Dan55

Dan55 Supporting Member

I had a PF-500 for a couple of years. Zero problems, great sound. I've had the 7Pro for a year or so, zero problems, even better sound and more power. I've had the V4-B for a few months now and it too has been trouble free and has the advantage of that all tube feel thing. Depending on what kind of music you're playing and what cabs you're running, one of these could work for you better than the others. But I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of them.

Dan

13. MrRubi04

MrRubi04 Supporting Member

I have been using my used PF 500 with the HLF 410 Classic cabinet, just as described above, sounds great, very flexible adjustments on the head make for a good match for the type music I play (ranges from blues to country/rock covers) I would recommend it used or new! Have had zero issues with mine! in the 6 months that I have had it.

14. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Of the ones you mention, I'd say go for an SVT-7PRO. Best sound, stone reliable in the newer revisions, decent weight, great durability... I had a PF-500, currently have a PF-800, so I clearly love the PF sound, too, but the 7 just does the SVT SOUND so well! Better than any SS or hybrid out there.

15. Jheake

Jheake

After owning the PF500 and then the PF800 and now owning the 7Pro I agree with Tekdiver, get the 7pro.

16. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    They have an ointment for that. Very Effective. It's called VTBass. :bag:

17. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

My recommendation is to get an ampeg classic cab they are the only cabs I've owned that held up, but if your aren't going to go all tube i think youd be better off getting a rack mount sans amp and a power amp than you are with most of ampegs hybrid amps

18. vmabus

vmabus Supporting Member

Where's Jimmy?

19. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

After having an Eden for a while I got the same itch. Most of the bands I listen to use Ampeg tube amps. I picked up a PF500 and it is close enough for me.

20. TXLawDawg

TXLawDawg Put some stank on it...

While very close through a TH500, it's just not quite the same. Ended up selling my TH500, keeping the PF500, springing for the V-4B and well, the VT bass pedal is still here but the poor thing hasn't been used in awhile. :D

21. SunnModelT

SunnModelT

I had in itch about 8 years ago, but I got over it. I used a SVT 3 Pro for a few years with a Svt410Hlf. I went back to my old school setups. For the last 2 years I've been using a '65 Fender Showman over an original Fender cabinet with 2 D140 JBL's. I love these old amps. Everyone else in the band is using reissue blackface Fenders so we all look the same.