I have to remind myself to play through a possible trainwreck!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Stinsok, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

A buddy and I were hired to play as part of a church program. There are horns and strings,etc. and a drummer. He's supposed to be "great." We did a run through last week and he hadn't worked on the stuff. I don't read (yeah, I know..) but watch the leader and was planning on drum cues but they weren't there. I have to concentrate and plow through with my part even though he may not be up to it.

My buddy contacted the leader and went over our concerns. It's supposed to be taken care of, but I worry!

2. IPYF

IPYF

So you should. Having a drummer who isn't glued to you is the quickest way to get pantsed.

Do you have the drummer's phone number? Maybe give him a ring and arrange an additional rehearsal.

I wouldn't rely on somebody else to resolve this for you. While theoretically at least it's not your responsibility, if you care enough about the outcome maybe take some initiative and set up an extra practice.

3. StayLow

StayLow

^ Great advice.

That's what I've always done in times of similar concern. Fix it yourself, even if that means fixing the drummer at the cost of your time and rehearsal outlay.

4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Oh well, just learn (memorize) the songs so you don't need to worry about your part.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stinsok

Wow, last night they had a dress rehearsal with all instruments there . They thought it was good , I thought it sucked. It wouldn't have mattered if I was there or not. They did crazy things like mic each brass and wind instrument(which were crazy loud!) and didn't bother with getting a signal from me. The pianist had a "Hulk Smash" left hand and left no room for my part. They changed some parts around from the last time without bothering to tell me and changed one of the tempos to one so fast, the choir couldn't get the words out fast enough.

7. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Oh well, either just go with it - or quit.

9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

10. Stinsok

Silver Lining-I just got a sub gig immediately after this is over.

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Do what I did once. Turn down your amp and let the keyboardist carry the gig.

Seriously.............I did that! Keyboardist was so left hand heavy, I faked it. Actually I stopped playing altogether and started playing percussion.

12. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

when people can't hear good from bad-it cant be helped.
    move on

13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Are they paying for bass? Tell piano player to leave it out. Otherwise this ^ or quit. Life is too short to play mud pies with a pianist.

14. chuckNC

chuckNC

I had the same misfortune once. Don't remember what the piece was but there was sheet music and everyone who could play was invited to take part. Organist played footpedals when we performed it during service, after I had talked to him at rehersal and asked him not to. He said he understood and would keep his feet off them. Came time to play....there it was again. I had no choice but to roll my volume all the way down and fake playing. Could have saved time and energy by not dragging my rig to church. Or going to rehersal for that matter.

I'm not bashing church music. It is what it is, and oftimes the congregation enjoys it even when the musicians think it went badly. They just like to see some of their own up there giving it a go.

15. Stinsok

One more nugget-The sound guy was going to get a signal from my friend's guitar amp...by plugging into the speaker out! I stopped him but he said "I think it'll work."