1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I have two 5 stringers Basses one of them is EADGC and the Other is BEADG

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by InsaneBassninja, Sep 5, 2013.

1. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

Recently, I have strung one of my 5 string basses EADGC because I didn't want to Spend the money for a 6 string bass (well, I did but want a six stringer. On the other hand would be cheaper to do it like this. ) I also did it because I wanted drop tune my first bass to CGCFA but the strings keep braking on me. So I did some Reserth about this problem I have. I was wounding if I could do this. Then I remember about the six string bass then thought "mmm... Why not have the best of two worlds here Normal Bass with a High C and another as Metal low B." For my Amon Amarth and others and I could use my High C for Drop C and higher to normal Standard tuning. Who else has done this I know am not the Only one that done something like this. This is Remix to One in 2007.

2. SteveC

SteveC

A number of people do this. I've thought about it as well after not being able to fall in love with a 6 string after a couple tries. Take the E-C for jazz gigs for extra solo range and use the B-G for rnormal bass grooving.

3. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

I love the 6 string bass but I can't buy one my Job, and ADHD makes it hard to by one. lol My Only complaint with the 6 string is the neck is too big for my hands the 5 string is best fiting for my hads only Reason I have two.

4. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I used to have 3 different 5 strings for low F#BEADG, standard BEADG, and EADGC, got rid of them and after getting a 7 string. All the range in one instrument. Took some time to get used to but its nice. For me the pros outweigh the cons when it comes to additional strings to a certain extent. I only have to carry one bass to a gig, i only have to buy and change 7 strings instead of 15. The 7 is heavier than any 5 i owned but at the same time the weight is nice because it doesn't flop around when I'm playing standing up. It's a little more difficult to play the low f# and b strings but i don't really do anything fancy with them anyways. Most of the more technical stuff i play or at least try to play is on the e,a,d,g,and c strings and in their case it's the exact same reach as a 5 tuned eadgc. The reach isn't really an issue if you have the bass in a good playing position. Obviously if the bass is down at your knees it'll be harder to play a wider neck but i have average size hands and judging by how far I can reach past the low f# string i could probably handle a 9 string bass. Don't have any plans on going that far though. The high f string gets lost in the mix of the band so I'm sure a high Bb would be worse, an low f# is already pushing the limit of my rig and the PA so low c# isn't for me.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

I re-strung my Pentabuzz E-C.

It's one of the best decisions I've ever made.

:bassist:

7. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    I have a pair of 5'ers (fretted and fretless) strung E-C with a drop-D tuner. Add in an Octamizer and I've got most of the range I'd ever want/need.

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:
    That's where I ended up too.
    Never could go to 6-string. Just never felt right.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

Same here. My smallish hands (for a six-footer) are not comfortable on a wide 6 string neck, but I also don't like narrow string spacing (I play "wide 5"). So, if I ever needed high range for soloing or whatever I would set up one of my fivers as EADGC.

10. benthughes

benthughes

I've had a few 5 strings that I've strung E-C. My personal preference is a 35" scale strung D-A# (E-C down a step ) with a .110 as the lowest . I dig the tension and the sound of a detuned bass gives a certain tonal quality that is very interesting and pretty cool. Not very useful when playing with people in standard tuning, workable if they're playing in drop D.

Give it a try. Mess with different tunings and string gauges until you find something that works for you. I find that doing this opens up new ideas and motivates me to practice more. It gets interesting when you record a rhythm track, lay down some bass and use a bass with alternate tuning to record the melody or lay down chords, it can really make you use your ears and think.