1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

I have two 5 stringers Basses one of them is EADGC and the Other is BEADG

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by InsaneBassninja, Sep 5, 2013.

1. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

Recently, I have strung one of my 5 string basses EADGC because I didn't want to Spend the money for a 6 string bass (well, I did but want a six stringer. On the other hand would be cheaper to do it like this. ) I also did it because I wanted drop tune my first bass to CGCFA but the strings keep braking on me. So I did some Reserth about this problem I have. I was wounding if I could do this. Then I remember about the six string bass then thought "mmm... Why not have the best of two worlds here Normal Bass with a High C and another as Metal low B." For my Amon Amarth and others and I could use my High C for Drop C and higher to normal Standard tuning. Who else has done this I know am not the Only one that done something like this. This is Remix to One in 2007.
  2. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

A number of people do this. I've thought about it as well after not being able to fall in love with a 6 string after a couple tries. Take the E-C for jazz gigs for extra solo range and use the B-G for rnormal bass grooving.
  3. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

I love the 6 string bass but I can't buy one my Job, and ADHD makes it hard to by one. lol My Only complaint with the 6 string is the neck is too big for my hands the 5 string is best fiting for my hads only Reason I have two.
  4. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I used to have 3 different 5 strings for low F#BEADG, standard BEADG, and EADGC, got rid of them and after getting a 7 string. All the range in one instrument. Took some time to get used to but its nice. For me the pros outweigh the cons when it comes to additional strings to a certain extent. I only have to carry one bass to a gig, i only have to buy and change 7 strings instead of 15. The 7 is heavier than any 5 i owned but at the same time the weight is nice because it doesn't flop around when I'm playing standing up. It's a little more difficult to play the low f# and b strings but i don't really do anything fancy with them anyways. Most of the more technical stuff i play or at least try to play is on the e,a,d,g,and c strings and in their case it's the exact same reach as a 5 tuned eadgc. The reach isn't really an issue if you have the bass in a good playing position. Obviously if the bass is down at your knees it'll be harder to play a wider neck but i have average size hands and judging by how far I can reach past the low f# string i could probably handle a 9 string bass. Don't have any plans on going that far though. The high f string gets lost in the mix of the band so I'm sure a high Bb would be worse, an low f# is already pushing the limit of my rig and the PA so low c# isn't for me.
  5. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

I re-strung my Pentabuzz E-C.

It's one of the best decisions I've ever made.

:bassist:
  6. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    I have a pair of 5'ers (fretted and fretless) strung E-C with a drop-D tuner. Add in an Octamizer and I've got most of the range I'd ever want/need.
  7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:
    That's where I ended up too.
    Never could go to 6-string. Just never felt right.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Supporting Member

Same here. My smallish hands (for a six-footer) are not comfortable on a wide 6 string neck, but I also don't like narrow string spacing (I play "wide 5"). So, if I ever needed high range for soloing or whatever I would set up one of my fivers as EADGC.
  9. benthughes

benthughes Supporting Member

I've had a few 5 strings that I've strung E-C. My personal preference is a 35" scale strung D-A# (E-C down a step ) with a .110 as the lowest . I dig the tension and the sound of a detuned bass gives a certain tonal quality that is very interesting and pretty cool. Not very useful when playing with people in standard tuning, workable if they're playing in drop D.

Give it a try. Mess with different tunings and string gauges until you find something that works for you. I find that doing this opens up new ideas and motivates me to practice more. It gets interesting when you record a rhythm track, lay down some bass and use a bass with alternate tuning to record the melody or lay down chords, it can really make you use your ears and think.