1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I honestly can't think of what the subject of this is

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shamiri On Bass, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Shamiri On Bass

Shamiri On Bass

Ok so about four months ago I bought my second bass, a Squier VM Jaguar Special. If I'm honest I didn't really want it, but I felt kind of pressured so I bought it. I didn't think it could be too bad because I hadn't had an active bass or one with a jazz style neck so it would be nice to try. Anyway, I love the look and feel of the bass, but I hate the sound. Pickups and preamp have been changed and I still only like the sound when I play unplugged. For now, I only want to have two basses at any one time, but I feel like the Jag is wasting one of those spots. I love alternate fender-style basses. I want to sell the jag and get a mustang or a jazz, but I can't bring myself to sell the jag. Anyone else had a problem like this and if so, what'd you do about it?

2. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

I bought a Squier VM Jag Special earlier this year- had a $50 gift certificate to amazon and used it towards this bass. Like you, I was "influenced" by favorable reviews of it rather than really wanting it in the first place. I got the PJ not the humbucker version. Liked the fact that it was lighter, an active Fender style bass and a thinner neck.
    Anyway, I too hated the sound! The active knob is actually a bass boost control not an equalizer so I couldn't get the right kind of sound out of it. I tried to adjust it by lowering/raising the pickup height but to me the sound was so generic and had neither a bite or warmth to it. Just couldn't get into it- I guess it was trying too hard to be a jazz/p-bass love child but being good at neither. I put it on the block a month later after deliberation but couldn't find a taker or anyone that wanted to buy it used. What I did was bundle it with another of my basses (a Sterling Sub Ray4 which I do love, but I have 3 of them) and traded them both for a modified MIM Fender P-bass with Seymour Duncan pickups and a Badass II bridge. No regrets, very happy with the P-bass. I would recommend putting it up on Craigslist for a trade for either a mustang or a jazz (I'm assuming a Fender not a Squier?) plus a little bit of cash on your end to make up the difference. In this way, you won't lose your Jaguar until you have a more desired bass in your possession. Again, just a personal opinion, but the Squier Jag can't beat a good old Jazz or P-bass.

3. Shamiri On Bass

Shamiri On Bass

Thanks Maxdusty, originally I wanted the humbucker version or a mustang, but all they had in the shops nearby was the Jag

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I learned to like having more than two basses.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Shamiri On Bass

Shamiri On Bass

It would be nice to have more than two basses, but space says otherwise. The problems of sharing a house with a guitarist

7. Maxdusty

I wanted the humbucker version too but heard it wasn't the version to get according to a few reviews. In retrospect, being that I like the Sterling Sub Ray 4 a lot, I probably should have followed my gut and bought the humbucker.

Anyway, you can also try posting an ad on Craigslist to see if there's anyone interested in an equal trade: your Jag for one with the humbucker pickup.
    You can always include the fact that you've modified (I'm guessing upgraded) the pickups and preamp already so it should be that much more enticing.

8. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    Really scraping the bottom of the problem-barrel with this one.
    A problem so vague, even the OP admits right in the title there is no defining it.

9. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

Title:

Indecision - what to do....?

10. Maxdusty

How high is your ceiling? lol. It's funny how little space 14 basses can take with a little bit of planning. (behind doors, closet, in between bookcases... etc)

11. Shamiri On Bass

Shamiri On Bass

Yeah sorry, not too many details. Is passivifying a bass possible?

12. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

You could mod it to passive, just take the preamp out. You should be able to find a wiring diagram.

But as far as I can tell, your problem is that you don't really like the Jag, but you can't bring yourself to sell it. So there, the only advice I can give is - get over it. Sell the jag. They make them in passive configuration too, why not just buy a passive one?

13. gurensan

gurensan

Meh. Bass reviews are like movie reviews. The guy writing them is usually wouldn't know *cool* if it smacked him in the face with a sock.

I tried the Mustang with the humbucker. It was cool. Not your average "if I only had one bass" cool bass, but that didn't make it an uncool bass ;)

If I'd had the extra cash at the time, I'd have bought it.

14. Shamiri On Bass

Shamiri On Bass

Thought you might want to know, a friend of mine offered to remove the preamp and replace the bass boost with just a regular 500k pot and the Jag sounds much better now