I just bought a Sansamp BDDI and now I regret a little

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Soko, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Soko

Soko

I recently bought a lightly used Sansamp BDDI for 165€-210$ (in Spain its price is around 250€-318$) and now I'm not sure I did well :(

Don't misunderstand me, I like this little thing, but I have heard clips of the Sansamp VT and, boys, it sounds like heaven. I know the BDDI has some SVT settings but it sounds different to me.

In the other hand, it's difficult to find an used VT so I would have to buy it new for 190-200€... and the BDDI I bought is 30€ cheaper. Does it deserve this extra 30€? :confused:

2. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    The BDDI is not one of my favorite things, tone-wise, but man does it keep coming in as useful over and over again. I would get a VT Bass for your main rig, but keep the BDDI as a back-up because it is so useful for so many things- running straight into a PA, running into a backline combo or otherwise weird amp, even running into a guitar amp in a pinch, it makes all of these things work much better than they would without it.

3. AmpedSilence

AmpedSilence

Saludos!

What exactly do you not like about the BDDI? Keep in mind that the dials are very sensitive and can give you undesired tones if you use extreme settings. I felt that a certain preamp pedal would give me the tone I was looking for. after listening to clips of it online, I decided to buy one. I could not get it to sound good for me.
    I eventually purchased a BDDI and I found the tone I was looking for instantly!
    Maybe the BDDI is not for you but if you'd be happier with a VT Bass, I'd say its worth the extra money.

4. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I feel your pain, brother. The BDDI and the VT are very similar in price when bought new. The BDDI has a definite edge feature-wise, having a DI and a parallel out, etc. But the VT just sounds better. Or it seems to based on my obsessive youtube listening.

Getting a DI put into the VT is possible, but obviously increases the expense. I keep going back and forth: I should just get another BDDI. I should get a VT. I should get something else entirely, like a Hartke Bass Attack or something. I just don't know.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gdavis

gdavis

I'm kind of in the same boat. Bought the BDDI, then found out a friend owns the VT and tried it out. Also feeling some regret :oops:

Scott, I've seen you mulling over the VT in several threads. If the lack of DI isn't a deal breaker I think you should get it ;)

7. scottfeldstein

Yeah, I should. But I have no money. Like, at all. Heh. A year ago I was dropping $5k on equipment, this year isn't quite as good. Suffice to say that I'm very price-sensitive right now, leading me to consider (and reconsider) units like the Hartke or the MXR.

But you're right.

8. metaball

metaball

i have the progammable BDDI. it's a solid unit with some good clean & dirty options, but it did not end my search. i think it's a good utility pedal to get someone with little or nothing started & build a board around.

9. scottfeldstein

I owned the programmable BDDI. Then, realizing I didn't need more than On and Off, I sold it for a regular BDDI. Then, realizing that it was a bit inflexible (permanently scooped, one just ok dirt sound) I got rid of it. Then, I fell in love with the Source Audio Multiwave. Then, realizing that it did everything I wanted except that one retro tube sound... I'm back where I started, considering sansamp again.

Someone must learn from my experience! :)

10. Soko

Soko

:D:D

Well in my case I am sure I want this retro tube sound, the problem is... with BDDI or VT? :ninja:

11. scottfeldstein

Answer: The VT sounds better. The BDDI has a DI and a parallel out. Pick your poison.

On the one hand, you could get a standalone DI to augment your VT. You're not going to get a standalone better sound to augment your BDDI. That's one way to look at it.

12. gdavis

gdavis

For the type of sound you get out of the VT, I personally found that a clean blend wasn't as important as I thought it would be. I suppose there are some sounds where you might want it, but even with the BDDI I haven't used it much.

Oh, sorry about that. Thought you had the cash and were just trying to make up your mind.

13. Soko

Soko

:crying:

I'll keep the BDDI while I look for an used VT. Hard task here, as in Spain there is no much second hand market for music gear.

14. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

I like the BDDI for the blend knob, the best feature on that pedal in my opinion. I keep the blend at around 11-12 0-Clock. This and turn the bass and treble down to retain the mids while adding dirt. I have played the VT once and enjoyed it but I don't remember it having a blend circuit/knob.

15. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

16. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

i do this also. with bass and mids bumped up abit on my amp's eq aswell. the blend any further up hurts my dirt pedals tone to much.

17. Soko

Soko

That's something I've read a lot here. The blend knob. Is this so important it makes the BDDI a better choice over the VT?

18. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

The VT does not sound better than the BDDI IMHO.
    The BDDI is very adjustable I find it hard to believe that you couldn't get a great sound from it with some tweaking. I wouldn't trade my BDDI for anything .. I use it every gig with whatever amp I'm using

19. scottfeldstein

The blend knob is super important on the BDDI and the Programmable BDDI simply because both of these units have a very mid-scooped cab simulation circuit and no way to turn it off. Therefore, if you want any mids back you have to have the blend knob somewhere less than noon.

The paradriver has a mid knob.

The VT has (now) a defeatable cab sim switch and a mid knob.

So what I'm saying is that one of the reasons you had to have that blend knob on the BDDI is.. not really as big of a concern on the VT.

20. portlandguy

portlandguy

I love my BDDI - It just took me a few weeks to find my sound

21. scottfeldstein

I had one of the BDDI units or another for at least six months. It worked for me, but, as I said...also left me wanting something else.