1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I just bought an Ampeg Micro VR...am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by neddyrow, Jun 25, 2013.

1. neddyrow

neddyrow

I just got a sweet deal on an Ampeg Micro VR. The reason I bought it, besides the deal is because this past weekend I played a gig with another band in a bar and I played my Shen SB 300 through an amp. I normally go direct with my pickup and use the monitors to hear myself. I usually play in stringband situations and I don't need and amp to hear myself. My GK just sat in the basement for a couple years before I sold it awhile back. Anyways, I really liked having an amp for the nicer monitor sound (which also doesn't muddy up the monitor mix) and a little more low end was great. It was then I decided to get an amp.

By luck, the next day, I bumped into a guy that had a micro in great shape for a great price and I jumped on it. I know it's not normally a double bass amp and I do little slab playing. I like Ampeg's sound and I figured 2-10" Emencense speakers would be worth a shot.

Finally the questions: Am I crazy? Does anyone use a micro for double bass? Any tips on how to set it? I'm going to give it a shot. I figure if it doesn't work, I can still break even.

Thanks

2. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Yes - JimmyM plays double bass and he has that micro 2x10 Ampeg

If I remember correctly - he loves it.

3. neddyrow

neddyrow

I wonder if JimmyM uses it for double bass. I heard great things about the amp for electric and thought with 2-10s, it would work for me. The only thing is no one on this side of the forum has mentioned using one. Curious. I guess I "guinea pig" it and let you know.

4. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

And maybe he is playing a different style too? I'll send him a PM to see if he can give you any info here.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

I can't seem to find a spec for the input impedance of the Micro VR. I suspect that it's relatively low, meaning that it won't play nicely with the more popular piezo-based pickups discussed here. A good pre-amp (e.g., the fdeck) would do the trick.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Someone called me? ;)

I use the Micro VR sometimes with my upright, an Upton Hawkes with a Clef Rev Solo II piezo pickup. No preamp needed, though I do use a separate EQ for it because I double on electric. I have no idea what its input impedance is, but I don't need a preamp.

I love it, though. Don't love it as much as my SVT's and B-15 of course, but it's a very good sounding amp. And the cab sings with an upright...and no annoying tweeter!

8. chris merrill

chris merrill Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses, Aguilar Amplification, La Bella Strings
  9. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Thanks for the heads up. I've seen these amps at GC and played through them in the store, but I've not used one to gig with. I would think because of the small dimensions of the cabinet it would be some what feedback resistant to feeding back. Chef over on the EB side of TB used one for Double Bass.
    For some reason unknown to me Ampeg doesn't include input impedance specs in their manuals. The B-15 was truly built with Double Bass in mind, since Jess Oliver played the instrument. I still have mine, but I don't gig with it.
    Ric

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    IMHO, feedback on an upright is related less to the size of the cab as it is the volume of the rig and where it's pointed. And of course the pickup and how it's mounted. There are certain pickups that just howl at gig volume no matter what you do.

I could be wrong, though ;)

11. neddyrow

neddyrow

Thanks for all the input! I had a feeling that there must be a few out there playing DB on one of these. I have a full circle on my Shen SB 300 and was thinking of getting an fdeck or the new Flexx from AI when it comes out. But I'll try first without at practice and see what it sounds like before taking it to a show.

12. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Hard to say. As most of my gigs are in concert halls with their own sound systems, I only have to get the onstage part of the equation in balance.

I do remember having a terrible time with feedback from the first Barcus Berry and Polytone pickups. It was so bad that I just quit trying to use a Double Bass on commercial gigs.

When the Underwood came out things got significantly better. The Realist was the next step, because it sounded more like my bass and when the Ehrlund came along I was just amazed at how true it was to my own instruments un amplified sound.

Even now, if I know the gig is going to be at higher volume levels, I break out my old Clevenger EUB, because there are volume levels where you just can't use an upright.

Ric

13. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

^^^ What about the volume levels of the rockabilly & psychobilly bands? Mind, they may have double soundposts and foam stuffed in their bass's f-holes, mag pickkups and feedback suppressors and what all else I don't know...

Just sayin'...

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Not all. Some rockabillies disdain all that stuff because it changes the response and tone of the amplified sound. I'd be lying if I said that some didn't use them, though. I know Miles Mosley has said on here that he uses them to play stupid loud, though, and he sounds great ;)

15. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

I'd agree with that! :)

16. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Well, there's need and there's need. :) You never "need" to have a pre-amp that optimizes the load impedance. For most of us, however, the sound with a piezo, especially, is judged to be far better when that's done. You might find that you can alter your DB "EQ" substantially and achieve a better sound if you load the Rev Solo with an impedance of 1-10 Mohm. I suspect that the Ampeg is not providing such a load.

Exactly. It has nothing to do with the size if the cabinet, per se, and everything to do with the directionality and sound-pressure level reaching the instrument.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I just turn it on and twist knobs till I get a sound I like ;)

Actually, while it's probably true, I have no complaints about the tone or output I'm getting so I don't hassle too much about it. At least I didn't. But now I'm going to. Hoo boy! Thanks a lot :p :D

18. MR PC

MR PC

Jimmy, don't you have the REDDI tube DI? That would take care of anything..;)

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Yes sir, I do! But I still need to hear myself onstage, and I hate using monitors for that purpose.

20. MR PC

MR PC

Understood! And I know you understand all of this input impedance loading stuff. The studio I've been working in for the last coupla years has The REDDI, and it works really well for piezos if for some reason we want to record the bass direct (like the EUB).

Back on topic, BTW, agree the Micro VR works very well for upright bass.

21. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Oh really? When I go out in the PA and listen it sounds amazing, that's for sure. Well dig...that's one less thing I can obsess on! Thanks PC!