1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I just (re)discovered Bakithi Kumalo

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Roaddog77, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Roaddog77

Roaddog77

I hadn't heard a Paul Simon song in years until last night. Heard the amazing bass lines from some of his songs off the Graceland album and realized I'd never even thought about him since starting to play bass.

My day started out so frustrating with my drummer flaking on practice. I started searching for tabs, most of which weren't that great and then found this video of him demonstrating a few of his bass lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAgd9Ijw6WI

I've hardly played my fretless since building it from a kit last year but I've played the crap out of it this evening. The guy is amazing and finding this made my day.

Any Bakithi fans out there? Any suggestions for other work he has done besides his association with Paul Simon?

2. JimK

JimK

I have a solo album of his called San Bonan...it's happening.

3. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

His playing on that album got me hooked on bass when I was a kid, years before I ever even touched one! I should probably remember to list him among my influences more often... Just a beautiful player, and probably the reason I love extreme fretless so much.

When I was a kid, my impression was that he was playing a special African kind of bass. But the main difference is that he purposely uses a lot of the slidy effects that many pro players avoid.

4. JimK

JimK

Those slides/glissandos work especially great on a fretless...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimK

JimK

7. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

8. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

why anyone would dislike that video i dont know. he'sgreat.
    kumalo & david j inspired me to play fl i played fl for 15 years or so it was my only bass.

9. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

I met him a few times about 3 or 4 years ago. Bathiki used to give bass lessons when not on the road at my friends tiny guitar store where we used to practice in the back. He showed up a few times just to check in apparently lives in the area. He's a nice guy, soft spoken. My friend who owned the store didn't even know who he was when he hired him as an instructor.