1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I kind of have another bass I forgot to mention.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zontar, Apr 6, 2014.

1. zontar

zontar

Earlier I went to play my bass after posting on here, & I remembered something bass related I haven't posted here yet-
    In one sense I actually have another bass--sort of.

Years ago, one of my friends wanted a guitar or bass, and didn't have one--so he made one--it wasn't that good, but he took what he learned from that one and made a second one, which was better.

Now it wasn't that great or fancy--but he was young with limited resources--but had some good ideas--he grew up to be quite good with wood and tools--and does a very good job setting up & repairing guitars. (He fixed the broken headstock on my classical and did a great job.)

But back to the bass.
    Originally this thing had 4 strings, but over the years they broke and he never replaced them.
    Then he got engaged.

I helped him move before his wedding, and the homemade bass was sitting on a pile of stuff to throw out--because he was getting married and had to be more serious & grown up, I guess.

I had played it, and it was fun-and it sounds better than it should. I told him he couldn't throw it out, but if he was going to throw it out, I would take it--and he said I could.

The last string was just about done, so I replaced it.
    Also he originally had the strings held on by screws--and you tightened the screw to raise the string's pitch.

I had some cheap machine heads from a guitar neck I bought for a project that never happened.

So I drilled a hole and put on the machine head and an old heavy string I had and it was reborn.
    I had intended to add at least one more string, but somehow a one string fretless bass seemed more fun.

So I played it tonight for the first time in months.

I guess in a way I have 2 1/2 basses-

I present to you--the Baux II.
    [​IMG]

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I want one, too.

3. SidMau

SidMau

Sound clips?

4. zontar

zontar

You can make one.
    It's simple--the top & back are 1"plywood, and the sides are wall paneling nailed on.
    The neck is a 2 x 4 that has sort of been shaved.
    Drill a hole for the machine head and holes in the top of the strings (You restring it by putting the string through the sound hole and up out of the hole in the body.

I didn't make it--but maybe my old friend will make another.

Not at this point--maybe I'll have to make some.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dabbler

dabbler Supporting Member

Looks like a mean deep in the delta blues machine to me! That thing is just oozing mojo.

7. zontar

zontar

Well it oozes something...

But it is cool to play.

8. zontar

zontar

So nobody asked what happened to the Baux I?
    (On another forum someone did)
    This was my friend's second attempt.

The Baux I was not very playable by the time I ever saw it--and didn't last long past the time I met this friend.
    The Baux I was not long for this world, and to the best of my knowledge, there never was a Baux III

9. mongo2

mongo2

I'd say you made Baux II.I when you installed the tuner. :thumbsup:

10. zontar

zontar

Well, I modded it anyway.

11. Ponsonby_Britt

Ponsonby_Britt

12. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

Jack White made a similar contraption on "It Might Get Loud." He put a pickup in it and played it with a slide through a Muff, I believe. It was pretty cool, but a novelty to have.

13. David Jayne

David Jayne

Needs a Badass bridge.

14. zontar

zontar

It's really part of the neck.
    But it is unique.

I have considered putting a pick up on it.
    I have a contact type one that works well with my 12 string--and it sort of works with this, but an actual pick up could be cool--especially a cheaper one with some character.