I kinda need some help. Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Bass' started by Zombie Latte, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Zombie Latte

Zombie Latte

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum. I'm sorry if it's not.

Okay, so honestly I don't know much about basses but I'm trying to get an idea of what makes for a good bass for an Xmas present for my boyfriend. The bass he has been lusting after is like -don't quote me on this- but I think its an Fender American Standard v 5 string Bass. I don't REALLY know, but it's about 2 grand. As much as Id like to... I can't afford that.

I'm looking for info on what would be a decent bass. I just wanna know what to look for so I don't end up throwing my money down the drain. Any help is appreciated.
  2. Ricnroll

Ricnroll

What is your price range and what is he playing now?

Awesome that you'd be doing this for your boyfriend. A slight warning that one man's awesome present could be another man's "Ah, not a XXX":atoz:

Case in point would be a used Ric, I'd be thrilled if my wife bought me an extra Ric but some people don't seem to like em.

If he's GASing for an AS Fender 5 string and you get him a XXXXX that he's not thrilled with he might be reticent to mention it and might not be inclined to flip it for something more to his taste because it was a present from you.

My advice would be to offer him cash towards what he identifies as his next bass purchase. It might not be as cool as having a present to unwrap under the tree but it might work better in the long run.

I'm sure ton's of people can comment on their experiences with gifts from significant others. My wife has done some awesome things to help me over the years but I've always been the one to identify the item to purchase.
  3. Willie Dizon

Willie Dizon

Ricnroll's advice is spot on! I would go for that option.
  4. ThePerfectBass

ThePerfectBass Supporting Member

I'll give you a third... I think we have a quorum! ;)

Not sure if I spelled that right... Lol!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lustersilk

lustersilk

I know "surprise" is so fun at Christmas time, but I agree with the others. A gift card or something would be more practical. If you really do want to give him a bass, one that he will probably love, may be more in your range and is awesome in my humble opinion is the Squire Deluxe Jazz Bass V5. Here is a link:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-...83435-i1173144.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&cagpspn=pla

Squire is sort of the budget Fender model, but this instrument will stand on it's own. It's killer and affordable.

You are awesome for supporting your guy this way, hats off to you.
  7. ntenny

ntenny

The best musical gift I ever got was when my then-girlfriend, my then-housemate, and I made prior arrangements to split the price of a bass. (I eventually married the girlfriend; I have some sense in these matters. :) ) There wasn't a lot of surprise involved, but believe me, it was just as satisfying to walk into the store and buy the fretless I'd been lusting after as it would have been to unwrap it under the tree.

Getting people to pitch in on a $2K instrument might be a challenge unless the guy has a whole lot of friends, but maybe he's OK with a used version, or the Squier version of the same bass, or something like that. Bring him in the loop.

-NT
  8. bass whaler

bass whaler

Hello Zombie and everyone, This is my first time on this forum, Sounds like a very good way to keep updated . As far as Basses go I have used a 78 Fender P-bass, a 1976 National, and tried a number of others. I have built guitars , tuned then, and wore them out. I just bought a Hagstrom Beluga 11F in Indiam summer, This is beyond my wildest expectations ever. Everything about Hagstrom is superlative . The playability, balance and sound of the Active Humbuckers is way too awesome. If you want to ever get excited about a bass then go out and order a Hagstrom . The chineese do wonderful work , and if you did not know, you might think it was a total one off custom . Now If you want the Larry Graham slap bass , just get the Beluga. Its well under a grand at around $650-$700 and worth every cent, Then you go out and get yourself a new A100 Hartke w/ 15" Aluminum cone, Maybe some flat wounds, and remember to always use "Tone" Finger Ease. The neck is so darn good on your fingers (like grease lightning) Bending notes is real slick, Never seen the likes of this ever. You can get one of the finest bass and amps for well under $2000. And everyone will drool over it , the sound quality will knock your socks clean off, so better go barefoot, Regards Bass Whaler
  9. bass whaler

bass whaler

To Add: The Beluga II F series is not going to put much strain on your back when you gig, practise or reherse. My P-bass Fender american strandard was hell on my vertabre. The Beluga is about 2 lbs lighter , but it punches through like a blown alcohol dragster. I nearly purchaced a new Fender P-bass w/ actives, it had a nice tone, but not nearly as advanced as the Hagstrom. Could have spent my $2000 on the Fender. I was instead able to get the killer Jack Bruce Hartke Amp , and money left over to feed the orphans for another day.
  10. supriya

supriya

In it something is. Many thanks for the information, now I will know.