1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I know what strings I want... But what are they called?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassic Playing, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Hey guys

Over the past year or so I have been on my quest to find my perfect strings, going from Ernie ball through to rotsound and a few in between, and have now narrowed down my favourite characteristics.

What I was hoping for was for someone to suggest strings that encompassed these qualities.

First off, tension in important to me. I really can't stand rubbery, slack strings, so higher gauge/tension is a must. Secondly, the sound I'm going for is a tight, middy, full sound. I quite dislike the metallic sort of modern zing that a lot of roundwounds have, or a clickety clackety sound. Finally, I do prefer a fairly smooth string.

Slappability is not very important to me, and I play with a very light touch, if it helps. I am open to all types of strings.

Thanks guys :help:

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    The description of my favorite type of string! I know exactly what you are looking for!

There are a few different brands that make it.

For certain reasons I can not specifically name them but there is a lot of discussion about them. But they are the 2nd type of string that I describe in a post responding to this thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/anyone-playing-half-rounds-music-man-945525/#post13664408

I would go with a Nickel/Iron alloy version of the string to get the tone you are looking for.

3. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

How punctual and efficiently helpful you are sir :) Expect an order of them as soon as I find the funds!

4. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

GHS Brite Flats are pretty good too. Little smoother than the pressure wounds. Not really a "flat" at all. More a ground round wound. Low noise. Great punch. Higher tension.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Toptube

Toptube

GHS progressives are pretty close to what you describe. They are a little lacking in the warm type of mids, but that's because they are one of the top 2 tightest sounding strings that I have personally tried. The E string is an exposed core/saddle hugger. So it won't fit weird bridges. I think you can order singles that aren't exposed core, though. So you should still be covered for string through and two piece bridges.

But don't worry about floppiness with the exposed core, as progressives are overall a half step higher tension than most strings. I run the .100 set on a bass that I would normally use .105 roto nickels. They actually seem a little bit thicker than their stated gauge, when under your fingers. This may account for the extra tension, in addition to the fairly unique core wire material.

They are also quite smooth for rounds. Their feel reminds me of Elixirs.

7. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

That's interesting, definitely a step away from what I've tried. How do they feel?

8. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass

broken in dr low riders nickels

9. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Also, while we are on GHS, the pressurewounds are described as flats, but are they true flats? Or are they more similiar to Ken Smith compression wounds?

10. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    GHS Progressives are not available in anything but Saddle Huggers for the larger gauges. These also use a Nickel Iron alloy so they generally last longer than other strings and have a soft smoother feel.

If you look at the windings of both GHS Pressurewounds and Ken Smith Compressors side by side they look exactly the same. GHS calls them Pressurewound Flats, but if you ask me, the "Flats" term should not be there. I can take a picture of both strings and they look the same (on the surface).

11. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    I was just sending some stuff to someone and came across this photo... These are GHS Pressure Wounds: You can pretty much see the surface of the string...

[​IMG]

Compare to Chromes (true flat wire wrapped strings)
    [​IMG]

12. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Ah I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

13. soulman969

soulman969

Try GHS Pressure Wounds. Based on your description you should love 'em. I play them on my Jazz and they are without a doubt the most tonally versatile and best playing string I've ever used.

14. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

I'm a fan as well and it sounds like they would fit the bill.

15. soulman969

soulman969

Pay attention to this man. I don't think anyone has tried out more different strings than he has and you can honestly believe what he tells you is true. They truly are a great string and not all that pricey.

Cheers playa! :D

16. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Well I'll hopefully have an order of GHS pressurewounds and Ken Smith compression wounds sent for within the next two weeks, thanks for all the help guys.

17. Finbase

Finbase

If you're after really mid-voiced strings, I'd recommend R. Cocco strings, and stainless steel in particular.

High tension, and a lot of middle grit. They work brilliant in band mix.

18. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my

I just put them on my bass and I am in love! warm yet still gets bright...I love them!