1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

I know

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Floyd Eye, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

I know, not another pedal order thread, but patronize me eh?

I have downsized my board quite a bit and have eliminated all the pedals I don't use regularly. These are the ones I have decided to keep on the board and was wanting some input as to what you guys thought of the order.

TU2
    TAFM
    BOD
    BF-3
    Boosta Grande
  2. Derek Balonek

Derek Balonek

Tuner first of course.
    Then the BOD (that's an octave down, right?), though putting the boost first might help tracking.
    TAFM
    BF3
    Boosta Grande
  3. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

BOD (for cleanest signal possible)
    Boosta Grande (to boost your signal going to...)
    TAFM (post octave for tracking and post boost to get even more fuzz out of it)
    BF-3 (after fuzz to accuentate the flanging and after boost to overdrive the flnage as needed)
    Tuner (I place mine at the end of everything for silent tuning and a mute switch)

different strokes for different folks....
  4. blastjv

blastjv Supporting Member

This is what I would start with as well. Including having the tuner at the end. So many folk regard it as gospel that the tuner goes first...

-JV
  5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Okay, maybe I should clarify a bit. I only use the boost for a few parts where I need it to be large ( I am in a 3 piece hard rock band). In a few spots I use it in conjunction with the TAFM, but for the most part I am using it to boost a clean signal. Still, I gotta have it in those few spots with the TAFM so...

The BOD I use almost exclusively in conjunction with the TAFM.

The flanger I use with the TAFM about 50% of the time and by itself 50% of the time, though since I am now using the BF-3 instead of the FL-9 this might change, as the BF-3 has a cool gate and a few more trippy features which I may incorporate in at some point in the future.

As for the tuner, I never considered it gospel that it goes first, I just assumed this was the best place for it because of the buffer and to give it the strongest signal possible. I also use it as a mute switch and for silent tuning ( I have no "Always on" effects). I would be willing to try it at the end.

Given all this, would you still recommend the same order?
  6. sillyfabe

the boost for your signal can be used by itself in the position it's in. The flanging post o/d,dirt,fuzz is always my personal fav as the fuzz can ride the flanging so to speak.

The only possible change I would make is making the boost first to use it to overdrive the BOD if you wanted to have that option...
  7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

So..

Boost
    BOD
    TAFM
    BF-3
    TU-2

Sound about right? I will try this tonight. Thanks..:bassist:
  8. sillyfabe

No worries let us know how it works out for you!
  9. blastjv

blastjv Supporting Member

Oh, I wasn't criticizing you for putting the tuner first, just agreeing that the tuner doesn't HAVE TO go first. In your case, actually, I think I might prefer it first to act as a buffer (unless any of your other pedals end up not liking the buffered signal a their front end).

-JV
  10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Never noticed any issue with the TU2 first. I will probably try it at the end and see what kind of difference it makes, if any.

Again, thanks for the replies.
  11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Well, I tried it tonight in this order and I really like it. I was playing through a practice rig though since all our gear is loaded in the trailer for the gig this weekend, but I didn't notice any issues with the TU2 not being in front. Got the new flanger dialed in and it sounds great with the TAFM and/or the BOD in front of it.

So far so good. I will know for sure Saturday night when I get to my rig.

Thanks for the help guys.