I Love Music Too Much! Help

Discussion in 'Ask the Berklee Bass Department' started by steyr.caephus, Sep 27, 2013.

1. steyr.caephus

steyr.caephus Supporting Member

Hello Bassisti Experts,

I am an amateur bass player who wants to gig as an amateur someday.

One of my biggest road blocks is being into so many different styles of music equally, that I cannot stay focused on any group of songs to build up an audition repertoire. If I go on craigslist, bands are auditioning so many styles, I don't know what to do because I like them all. Since I am not trying to earn a living on the bass, I don't feel particularly compelled one way or the other for the sake of money ,stability, etc..

Might anyone have recommendations on what someone like me should do?

When I dream of playing in a band, I dream of things like neo-soul, fusion, progressive rock/metal, Latin jazz, country, hip-hop, folk, modern gospel and many more.

I guess ideally, I would hope there may be a few songs out there that would be diverse and well rounded enough that I would be able to cover a lot of ground just by learning those. Perhaps some fusion tunes?

Your feedback is very much so appreciated,

Thanks,

steyr.caephus
  2. steyr.caephus

steyr.caephus Supporting Member

Noticed that the forum is designed to be geared towards Berklee related topics so apologies if this is not the most appropriate question.

Hopefully, though, there may be some overlap, such as popular audition/recital pieces at Berklee?