I love my Jazz bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ninerfan, Dec 18, 2013.

1. ninerfan

ninerfan

I own/ have owned some decent basses and every time I pick up a different one I always end up back on my '96 USA Jazz with NJ4's. I put flats back on my P last night with the intention of using it for the whole practice, but only made it 2 songs. I grabbed my Jazz deluxe, but that only lasted a song. Went back to my passive Jazz and all was right in the universe.
    What is it that gives us GAS when we are perfectly happy with what we have? Lately I've been gassing for a Lakland Hollowbody. Then I realize I would get it, play the hell out of it in my room, but when I got to practice it would last 1 song and I'd be back on my Jazz where I belong.
    P, Stingray, L2000, L2500, Jazz Deluxe, SR1300. All wonderful basses, but all I need is my Jazz.
    Just thought I'd share. Maybe this confession will help me get through the holidays without picking up any unneeded gear.

2. Salamenster

Salamenster

A p/flats and a J/rounds... All passive and all a man needs. Okay, maybe a double bass too.

3. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

I've got a '96 4 string J and got the urge to venture into 5dom. I bought a Warwick thumb, loved it so much I "upgraded" to a Wick Thumb NT 6, which I also love. Played these 2 for a while, then decided to take out my J after a couple - 3 months. I really missed that tone, growl, etc., and realized that I "needed" a 5 string Fender J. Researched and found that the Roscoe Beck V is pretty much the ultimate. Got it last week and the 1st thing I did was replicate the J settings (1 pup soloed on each position). That 96' 4 string J sound wasn't there! It's fatter, and sounds great, but misses the snarly, crunchy growl. I still "go to" consciously or otherwise that 4 string tone/sound in my other guitars. Having said that, I don't regret buying the others - all 5 are unique (5 string fretless LTD as well). The 6, in particular plays nicer than anything I've ever picked up. Yeah, nothing like a Fender J!

4. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

i hear ya's! my AV62RI jazz is just pure sex...
    every damn time i play a boutique bass,.. i understand the draw. when i get back home and play that jbass,... the GAS just seeps out of my pores!:bassist:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. shoot-r

shoot-r

+1!!!

I've strayed afew times from my passive jazzes over my 40+ years of tryin' to play.......always go back in short order!
    I'm at the place now where I don't even bother to look at anything else.

7. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

J bass w/ flats, does it get any better ?

8. StayLow

StayLow

That bass with those pickups is certainly a fantastic combination. If it feels great to you, then there may be comparable basses but there are none that are "better". If you want a little "more" consider adding series wiring/switch.

9. bh2

bh2

I love mine too.

10. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

I think we strive for better tone, feel etc and just don't realise it when we are "there". Not a bad thing trying to be better.

11. Rodslinger

Rodslinger

Preach My Brother Preach! I have owned them all I have played them all I have modded & played them all & sold every single one just to go back to the Fender Jazz bass. I bought a mint condition 2004 USA Fender Jazz bass today. Black body/maple board & is the best Fender Jazz I've played in 13 years. I traded my MTD Grendel 5 for it.

12. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

yeahhhh jazz bass lovers

13. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

14. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

I can appreciate how you feel. I do love my P/Flats, and all my other basses, but my Jazz with the SCN pups and TI Flats is just so dang good and easy to play. I wish I had the guts to sell everything else off and save them money.

15. LARAIDER

LARAIDER Ghost to Da Post

My favorite is my fretless '96 American Standard Jazz that I put N3 pups on with Fender 9050M flatwounds

16. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

No, it doesn't get any better! +1 x 1,000

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Yeah, a Jazz with rounds, an S1 switch, and a Hipshot drop tuner for me, please...

- georgestrings

18. greybeard125

greybeard125 Supporting Member

There are two men who got it right the first time. John Moses Browning is one and Leo Fender is the other. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

19. Mike M.

Mike M.

I played at our church's Christmas Eve service last night and used my Jazz bass. It's a 2009 American Standard that's stock. I always use my SR505 but none of the songs really required a B string. I've been missing that bass anyway, so last night was a good reason to use it. Besides, I was in the mood for something differant anyway.

I worked up some good sounds with my Zoom B3 and the soundman said the tones and punch were fabulous. He said I could hear and feel everything you were doing.

20. Crabby

Crabby

I keep trying to find the next "Holy Grail" but for me its Leo's other great design, The Stingray that just feels like home. I totally understand the OP's example of always coming back to the one bass that you are most comfortable on. Its still fun to try other basses though.

21. bh2

bh2

The loss of my Ray still hurts... but my Jazz heals the pain... sorta!