1. Register your FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

I love my Lakland Skyline 55-01

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by audiomitch, Dec 22, 2012.

1. I recently picked up a Squier Jazz 5 for cheap on Craigslist and was considering selling my Lakland. So I gave it another run and fell in love all over again. The Squier is surprisingly good, but the Lakland is definitely a step up (what a surprise). Guess I'll keep both :D

Anyhow, I made a hard rock test song featuring the Lakland Skyline 55-01.

You have to wait a few seconds for the little player to pop up -

Try Again Song

2. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
  3. Sponsored by:

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Great basses, and rival most 'boutique' basses after a pickup and preamp upgrade.

5. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I've got a Valenti (35 inch scale and 19mm spacing coming) and I'd like to pick one of these up as a back up.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Newport News, VA via NYC
    Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Yessir! I love mine!

7. bgartist

bgartist

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    +1!!

I've had a 5501, 5502 and a DJ5 and the stock 5501 is my favorite. I wish I still had it.

8. JasonLamb

JasonLamb

Aug 17, 2007
    i just used my 55-01 on a job this weekend and even with 3 year old dead strings, it freakin ruled..i liked it so much that I am getting a 44-01...left eq flat...plugged into a gk 800 thru a ampeg svt410hlf and didn't worry about a thing.

9. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Funny how you can usually pick up a used 55-01 for almost half what a similar 55-02 will cost you. I've been tempted to grab one of these more than once.

/rick

10. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    Excellent playing on Try Again! Love the aggressive tone you got on there too. I have a 44-01 (upgraded pups and preamp) and don't get this tone...

11. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Yeah, forgot to mention, great clip. Loved the playing, loved the tune, loved the tone you were getting.

:bassist:

12. Smokin' Toaster

Smokin' Toaster Supporting Member

I sold mine, and I wish I still had it. With my Skyline Scheff 5 and DPLE-II getting most of the playing time, I figured I didin't need it. Of COURSE I didn't need it, but I sure do still want it from time to time.

13. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    CT, New England
    Liked the clip! Love my Lakland 5501. With the coil switching and electronics upgrade, I prefer it over the 55-94 I had a few years ago. Same tight B string and very versatile electronics. the stock were not bad and I used them for a while, but opened up a lot of tone thru electronics upgrade which I've read many folks have tried.

14. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
  15. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Great clip! Sounds like a tube amp and sounds like you played with a pick?

16. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin

i think you should keep playing that Squier jazz 5er, and i will take that old 5501 skyline off yer hands for ya! PM me with details.........the sooner the better