1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

I made my Bass teacher very happy today

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by InsaneBassninja, Oct 3, 2013.

1. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

For the longest time he was little annyoed by the Low B, Now I use my High C more and he seems very happy now. So next week am Bringing my 5 string High C to him Now I have to relearn sh*:meh:t again LOL.
  2. bassinplace

bassinplace

Rise to the challenge. Can't hurt.
  3. Lownote38

Lownote38

Why does your teacher have a problem with a low B string? I mean it is a bass, right?
  4. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

No clue... o well I use the high c more anyways now. Plus he's traditionalist am started as the 5 string is more commed I guess.
  5. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

I think its makes it easyer for him to teach me really.
  6. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

A lot of people just don't care for the way the notes on the B string sound. I just made my recent foray from the 4-string-only world to a 6-string, and to be honest...I'm not crazy about the B string, at least not on my bass.
  7. Basshoofd

Basshoofd

Did you change because of your teacher?

I've never heard any teacher being annoyed because a student plays a regular 5-string...
  8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

How can a bass teacher be annoyed by a low B ??? Please ask him why.
  9. jsbarber

jsbarber Supporting Member

10. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Meh.. tell him to get bent , you like the Low B, and Hi-C is a Juicy drink for kids.
  11. topo morto

topo morto

When I was an English teacher I was always annoyed when students used letters at the end of the alphabet. V? W? X? Y? Z? No real need for those.
  12. Lownote38

Lownote38

He needs to go back and teach himself a few things then (maybe how to play with a low B). In today's world, a bass teacher needs to be able to do that. I mean, you pay him for lessons, right? I might be inclined to find a teacher who accepts students regardless of whether they have a low B, high C, or both!
  13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Why do you have to relearn **** again? You need a new teacher if changing one string changes what you are learning. Especially if the instrument is still tuned to 4ths.

I get preferring the high C to a low B, I am in the same boat, but that has nothing to do with your issue. Get yourself a new teacher.
  14. topo morto

topo morto

+1 string
  15. Lownote38

Lownote38

or +2 strings! :D
  16. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Previously rollerberg2000 Gold Supporting Member

I can see an instructor not caring for it on upright. When I presented my teacher with my five string double bass, he said "we'll have to work around it".

Straight into Simandl, and now I see what he was getting at!

I'm working around the B string for lessons and practice, but I use the hound out of it when I'm playing gigs.
  17. Major Softie

Major Softie

5 w's and 2 y's in your first sentence.

You must drive yourself nuts! :p
  18. topo morto

topo morto

adopting a strict approach of refraining from calling on those letters has the potential to stop me spending too much time here...
  19. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

My Teacher a traditionalist, O well.
  20. Major Softie

Major Softie

:hyper:(applause):hyper: