1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I might have poached a gig from a fellow bass brotha...need perspective.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jonas_24112, Feb 6, 2013.

1. jonas_24112

jonas_24112

Things have been going south with my current band for around 6 months now. I'll leave the drama details for some other time. So, I decided recently it's not going to get any better and it's time to move on.

Right now, I have two other bands that are interested in me. The problem I have is the one band I like the best, I've been asked to replace another bassist that I sort of know. We're not friends by any means, but run in the same musical circles. He is a really nice guy, but has issues. He's well known for going absolutely bat crap insane crazy at gigs. We're talking kicking chairs, knocking over tables, holding arms up in air and not playing for half a song, banging bass on table tops, band members looking at each other wondering what he's gonna do next type of crazy. I've been chosen over him as a sub before by one of his good friends for this same reason. I sat in for one song the other night with his band with his prior permission (none of them had heard me play before) and got called the day after by the BL. Basically they are giving him an ultimatum and want to know if I'm interested if he doesn't shape up.

Well, perspectives?

2. bluewine

bluewine Banned

How old are these guys? The other bass player sounds like he's still in High School.

Blue

3. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

If there are any hard feelings between you two I'd say it's his problem. I assume he will be approached about his issues by the band and if he won't comply within reasonable boundaries, I have a hunch he's out anyway no matter if you joined or not (unless the band is really desperate...) Now, who fills the spot is not as important imo, he got himself in that position.

Whether he acts professionally afterwards is something else... But I wouldn't worry about it. I don't see you in the wrong here.

4. jonas_24112

jonas_24112

Old enough to know better Blue. At least half your age, I'd say.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Judging from your description he sounds like a complete nut job. And not in the good way.

Proceed with caution.

7. Already In Use

Already In Use

I got a call to sub in band of which I knew the bass player. Not friends but same as your circle. Did one show and I was offered the spot. I took it and did not ask any questions. I was told by the band that I worked hard as a sub and earned the spot. I'm not worried and will do my part to remain cordial to the original bass player.

8. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Then I think you would be doing these guys a favor coming in and getting away from his inappropriate behavior.

Blue

9. elgecko

elgecko

Is this the guy?

[​IMG]

:bag:

10. Muttleybass

Muttleybass

I fail to see the problem. The guy lost his gig because he's unstable. You happen to be the guy with an opportunity. He's losing his gig, you didn't steal it.

My only advice is make sure the guy is 100% let go before you take over. You probably don't want to be in the line of fire when he goes off.

11. Troph

Troph

I frequently act like this on stage too. I don't see the big deal. As I tell the others in my jazz group, it's all about improvisation! :rolleyes:

12. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Can you blame the band for wanting to get rid of the guy? I don't care how nice you are, if you start flipping tables at our gigs, you're done. No way I would work with a guy like that.

13. St Drogo

St Drogo

Basically what muttleybass said; you aren't stealing anything and aren't backstabbing him or somesuch. He lost his spot due to his own 'issues'. And his old band offered his spot to you. It's not like you were badmouhing him behind his back or anything.

I'd say go for it, and don't feel bad. Hell, it might provide the old bassist with some realisation he's on a egocentric and antisocial path and needs to address that. Behaviour like that mostly comes back to bite him in the ass, be it in bands or in his career or lovelife of whathaveyou.

14. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Yeah, you're not the bad guy here. Sounds like this guy was obliviously given plenty of rope and managed to hang himself. Personally, I would take the gig but make sure it's after they take care of the deed to be done. If he ever asks, simply say they called and said they needed a new bass player, and leave it at that.

15. David Jayne

David Jayne

No bad on your part. As said already, the guy IS going to be replaced one way or another.
    The only concern I would have is the crazy dude coming after you, which based on your description is a possibility.

16. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

correction

This

:D

If you flip tables and act like an ass at gigs...

[​IMG]

True. OP, you ma want to verify whether or not the guy youre replacing has a history of stalking and/or assault.

17. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

+1

I'm with everyone else, the guy is/was getting the boot one way or another.

18. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Good point.

I had the same thought, but I got the impression that he brings the crazy as part of his "act."

19. oniman7

oniman7

If he is actually crazy, I would be worried about him going off at you. Even "nice guys" aren't so nice when they flip mentally, and it seems if he's not in control of this, he has a legitimate mental disorder. I wouldn't even want to share a room with somebody like that.

20. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Blue, repeat after me:

It's not always about age.

In my armchair therapist opinion, it sounds more like he has a mental issue rather than anything having to do with his chronological age.

21. bluewine

bluewine Banned

It's not always about age, rarely are any of theses issues about age. However, his antics remind me of the way some people behaved when I was in HS.

Blue