1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I must be the highly suggestible type

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metal_mark, Mar 10, 2014.

1. metal_mark

metal_mark

For reasons I can't quite fathom I've just bought a new bass because our guitar player told me I wanted one. Up until about an hour ago I hadn't even thought about getting another but beer and Internet are a dangerous combination.

Looks like I'm gonna be the (hopefully) proud owner of a Warwick Corvette Basic 4/Active in Burgundy Red. Please tell me I've made a good choice!

To be honest it really is time I upgraded from the Yammy RBX as I've had it for 12 years and whilst it's never let me down I do feel that it's kinda holding me back a bit. Has anybody else ever bought a new bass, un-played on impulse? :eek:

2. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Straight out a donkey's mouth Supporting Member

Dude, if you don't mind the neck profile on Warwicks they are some SERIOUSLY awesome basses (the new Rockbasses that is). The tone on mine was awesome, I miss it very much, but the neck was just undoable for me. Ibanez SR's fit me just right, so I have pretty small hands.

3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Stay away from beer and the internet!

Yes I have bought basses sight unseen off the 'net. Happy with some, not so much with others.

Maybe your guitarist did hypnotically implant the suggestion in your noggin...

4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Untouched by GAS for twelve years? Then one recommendation by a bandmate and BOOM…instantly reaching out and buying something online, sight unseen?! That, my friend, isn't hypnosis. That is a weaponized virus transmittable by close contact, probably airborne, and frighteningly effective!

Think about it; no dithering on TalkBass to the tune of, "Should I get this?" or "What do you think of that?", no scouring through eBay, no combing through the UK's equivalent of Craigslist, no aimless meandering through local music stores…just a beeline to a new bass guitar…

…a German bass guitar, no less! :eek:

Tell us, Mark…have you, or any of your bandmates, recently played gigs for fans with thick, teutonic accents and a penchant for goggles and lab coats? Have you been in direct contact with any of the famous artists endorsing a certain German bass manufacturer?

Is it conceivable that you could be under the influence of a manufactured pathogen that's sole purpose is to induce target-selective GAS in an individual and make the host immediately, and seemingly without the slightest provocation, go forth and purchase a Warwick bass?!

<catches breath>

Oh, and yeah&#8230;I've bought stuff online without playing them first. In fact, that's how I got my first bass, and a few after that as well. :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. metal_mark

metal_mark

If it is a virus then I've been suffering from it all my life! :D

Nevertheless, it turned up the other day. Spent a couple of evenings setting it all up correctly and last night went to rehearsals armed with it. I'm pleased to say that it didn't disappoint. So easy to play compared with my old bass and if I don't watch out I can see myself getting too creative with it for my own good! :bassist:

7. Itzayana

Itzayana

It's not the beer and the internet...
    This is clearly an example of why it is generally believed that guitar players are evil creatures.

8. Malak the Mad

Well then, there's only one solution. You must post as many pics as possible of your teutonic Kriegs-Bässe. Perhaps, by disseminating it throughout the web, you might thin out the viral count in your system…

…or you'll just infect the rest of us. Either way, show us what'cha got! :D

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Well you went 12 years so you can't be TOO suggestible.

10. Malak the Mad

Maybe he's a "Typhoid Mary"? Y'know, a carrier who shows no outward symptoms or ill-effects.

11. Frozen J

Frozen J

I dunno..... Some people take a long time to show symptoms. I was happy with my P-clone for 15 years. Mia jazz and a stingray in the last four months....

12. PWRL

PWRL

I caught that German virus. Went for years and years with standard US-type instruments, until I became susceptible one day and somebody handed me a Streamer LX. Then bam, I was infected. Now I am one of... them. Now I understand, as well. It's only a matter of time before I pass it on to someone else.

13. metal_mark

metal_mark

Here's a quick crappy shot I took of it on it's maiden voyage gig tonight...

[​IMG]

I've now been prescribed suitable medication to minimize the effects of the highly suggestible virus so hopefully it'll be a long while before I buy that second 4x10.