I need a half stack bass amp that I can potentially add another cabinet to.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Corvette19, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Corvette19

Corvette19

I would really like a Fender rumble amp because I really, really love the tone of this Fender rumble 60. I see the Fender rumble 410 cabinet but I read somewhere that if I got a Rumble 350 head then I could not put two of the 410 cabinets with it but only one at a time. If you guys have any other suggestions for half stacks (I'm on a budget of less than 1000) and how I could get the most bang for my buck please say so. I want to know what your opinions are and a little more knowledge about the cabinet/amp head stuff.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Just look for different cabs. You'll need to find 8 ohm cabs, then you can use 2 of them.

3. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

You need to do a search on here, and read A LOT.

All of your questions have been discussed at length on this forum, Ive been here for years and am still catching up

4. jkingbass

jkingbass

as stated above if you run a 4ohm amp through two 8ohm cabinets thats fine but never use two 4ohm cabinets, but remember while your using the halfstack (4ohm amp with 8ohm cabinet for example) it will only be half the power as the impedance of the cabinet is greater.

as a general rule you can run a :
    2 ohm amp with either ONE 2 ohm cab or TWO 4 ohm cabs
    4 ohm amp with either ONE 4 ohm cab or TWO 8 ohm cabs
    8 ohm amp with either ONE 8 ohm cab or TWO 16 ohm cabs

one benefit of running 2 cabs is that usually (depending on what brand and quality ect.) having two cabinets increases headroom so your sound is cleaner as both amps are running at half the power of the head but are (usually) rated to the same output level as their lower impedance counterparts.

I hope this is not too confusing for you, it took me ages to get my head around impedance and mixing and matching cabs to heads when i started out, but when i joined up on talk bass i found everyone is very helpful and friendly :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bampilot06

bampilot06

the carvin amps look really nice. link was posted in another thread

7. Corvette19

Corvette19

Thank you so much man! I really wanted to know more about the ohm stuff and how I could mix and match stuff. Thanks a lot man! :hyper:

8. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

Bingo. An 8ohm cab will still get plenty loud by itself (assuming it is any good to begin with). But then you can add another for bigger gigs/stages which will drop your load to 4ohms and not fry the amp.

Carvin and Avatar seem to have some pretty good deals. That should be a good place to start your search anyway.

9. msaone

msaone

I bought the rumble 350 head with their 410 cab. As I gleefully left the music store, drove home, set up my first new rig in 15 years, it was at that point I remembered ohm ratings.

Oh we'll, I dig the setup, and for another $700 I could always double what I already have.

10. Stephent28

Stephent28 Supporting Member

11. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

As has been pointed out, this is true. One would be good by itself, but two...your amp might catch fire. This is because the cabs are 4 ohm cabs. 4 ohms plus 4 ohms equals 2. something or other--far lower than the head can do. There will be a puff of smoke followed by a great silence.

You could get the 350w head, though, and use it with a single 4 ohm cabinet. Or you could get a pair of 8 ohm cabs. (Not Fender Rumble 410s, though, it seems.)

I wonder, though. With only 350w pushed out to 4 ohm load, are you really going to be able to take advantage of two 410 cabs? I think...possibly no. It might just be a tall and heavy rig that wouldn't get much louder than a single 4 ohm 410 up on some milk crates.

If I was married to the Rumble line and limited to $1000 I might get the 350w head and a single, 4ohm 410.

12. stagefumer11

stagefumer11

Correct 4+4 = 2ohm loading, If the amp isnt rated to run at that loading, usually a mosfet will blow.

I have a rumble 150, I used the lineout, (XLR) and split into a 400wrms poweramp, And power another 15" cabnet design i did, And also into a 12" folded horn. Really really fantastic tone!

13. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
  14. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Yeah, well he could go $50 under and get a GK MB500 and a 410 MBE cab brand new. And he'd have enough watts to drive a second one if he wanted it.

But...he's already said he likes the Fender sound. I was trying to work within that.

15. M. Owen Santy

M. Owen Santy Banned

Disclosures:
    Michael Tobias Designs Kingston Series & Traynor Amps Artist
    Traynor DB300H or DB400H and a decent used Eden or SWR 4x10 should be well within budget and have great tone. Simple to operate and tough as bricks. Can find the DB300H for $500 new. Can find both on the used very affordable. Direct out on them is almost as good as the Line6 stuff without having to deal with modeling.

DB300H 300w @ 8 Ohm 350w @ 4 Ohm Weight 13 Lbs.

As far as sticking to Fender tone - when I had one of these I could get a good bassman like tone without problem. Can get wicked clean Eden bell tones as well. Takes pedals exceptionally well right into the front end.

Still using Traynor/Yorkville and will never leave them again. Serious sleeper amplifiers. Great tone, versatile and rock solid dependability.

http://www.proaudiostar.com/dynabass-300h-300w-solid-state-bass-head.html?gdftrk=gdfV21380_a_7c627_a_7c5539_a_7cTRA_d_DB300H&gclid=CPqPg-CH4LQCFQSg4AodsSUA8Q#info

[​IMG]