I need a new head! $800-$1,200...what do you think?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by she_loves_ham, Mar 25, 2014.

1. she_loves_ham

she_loves_ham

This is my first post...hey everybody! I've had an SVT4 pro for many years, and want to make a change. I play a lot of psychedelic/stoney rock (Sabbath, Doors, Tame Impala, etc.) and want to move to an all tube amp. Something warm, fat, and loud.

I hope to get about $1,200 for the head, case, tuner, rack drawer, and conditioner... My question is: Which amp would you recommend? I'm look to spend between $800-$1,200. I've read a lot of great things about the Orange Terror 1000. I've also heard the Sunn 300T is pretty nasty...but they're proving hard to find. Ampeg SVT VR has always interested me... What do you guys think?
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    1. Good luck selling that rig at that price. I think you should be a bit more realistic
    2. The orange isnt an all tube amp
    3. The Sunn is fine, but way over priced due to dumbass hipsters buying up the name
    4. What cabs are you planning on using?
    5. The VR is a good amp, finding one used at your price range will take time an patience but will be worth it
    6. There are lots of other good tube amps out there as well, just have to see what is reasonably available to you.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    SVT-VR is terrific. Orange Terror 1000 is not a tube amp. Their tube amp is the 200w AD200b. For me, any Ampeg SVT will do...SVT-VR, SVT-CL, older SVT...love 'em all.
  4. Linnin

Linnin

Fender Super Bassman, ask for it by name! :smug:
  5. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
  6. obimark

obimark

A new SVT4 with all of the above isn't worth that much- much less used- As others have said- Good luck!
  7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I saw a Sabbath band and the guy sounded wicked with a Mesa 400 head.
  8. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

9. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Death Fist Kill Guy Supporting Member

Media:
    Traynor YBA200 has served me well...plenty of aggression and a very light footprint compared to most all-tube amps. I recommend a retube if it's still the stock Sovteks, you can get these amps for around $450-750 used all day long.