1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

i need a noise gate

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassguitarded, Feb 11, 2009.

1. bassguitarded

bassguitarded

i think i like the MXR M-135 but i don't know a lot about noise suppressors. Which ones do you use? Why?
  2. Alaska Bass

Alaska Bass

First, why do you feel you need a gate? Noisy system, not enough definition between notes, other?

Are you looking for a rack mount unit or pedal style?
  3. lopxtc

lopxtc

I use an Alesis Rack Mounted 3630 for my compression, noise gate, and limiter functions. Have had no problems with it all, does a good job of cutting out the noise from my pedals and not cut into the tone.

Got it for $45 shipped from on here.

Aaron
  4. BigOldHarry

BigOldHarry

yeah - why do you need it? 60hz hum? Buzzing fuzz pedal? I've never used a noise gate, not once... But I've been using humbucking p'ups for years and years
  5. bassguitarded

bassguitarded

i need it for my BBM... when my bass is in passive mode it squeals and when it's active it hums... only a problem when the fuzz is on. also i wanted to know the benefits of putting it before or after the fuzz.
  6. Alaska Bass

Alaska Bass

Behringer makes a few cheap gates that actually work pretty good, it sounds like they would fit your application perfectly. Something like the MDX 1600 has gating, compression/limiting and even has a second channel for $100 new.

If you put the gate before the fuzz, it will control when the tone of your bass passes to the fuzz box and is effected. If you put it afterwards, you will cut off the tail of the effected sound.
  7. bassguitarded

bassguitarded

thanks for the suggestions... keep em coming
  8. bassman1185

bassman1185

I would highly suggest looking into the BOSS NS-2. I have all my dirt pedals in the loop of my NS-2, and it does a fantastic job of cutting the noise totally out. It also cuts off the 60-cycle hum from my single coils.
  9. bassguitarded

bassguitarded

is there a difference between gate and noise suppressor?
  10. bassman1185

bassman1185

Yeah, a gate will generally be a bit more of an extreme "open or closed" device, whereas a suppressor will be more of a subtle filter.
  11. bassman1185

bassman1185

By the way, the NS-2 is actually more of a gate than a supressor, or at least it can be set up that way.
  12. stflbn

stflbn

I keep an NS-2 on my pedal train mini just for the times we play some venue with buzzy power, or neon on the same electical chain as my outlet, etc etc etc.

It will/can kill everything when you're not playing depending on how you set it... it will not however strip out humm or buzz without your signal while you're playing.

13. bassguitarded

bassguitarded

picked up an Mxr smart gate last night from best buy....neither guitar center or the local shops carried it or had it in stock... plugged it in and tried it out behind the fuzz... changed the pitch of the squeal but didn't erase it completely even at its highest setting... put it before the fuzz and it worked like a charm... the buzz from my single coils was being pumped way up by the fuzz. the mxr helped me kill the buzz keep the fuzz! im a happy camper!
  14. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

i find my BBM is giving me a lot of unwanted buzz too, i'd look for a noise gate too :D
  15. harrythehatchet

harrythehatchet

i use the boss ns2 and it helped a ton with what i suspect is a bad ground in the place where we practice.my amp was picking up radio stations before i added it.not sure how or why but it helped.
  16. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

EHX Hum Debugger. Or Rocktron Hush.
  17. jhan

jhan Guest

I've been using an ISP Decimator. It's awesome.
  18. dirtytone

dirtytone

I have the ns-2. I have a boss limiter enhancer, a digitech ds7. nd a boss odb-3. Morley bass wah and chorus. Plus the boss tuner. I mainly got the ns-2 to kill the buzz and feed back from my active pickups, and from the digitech and the odb3. The limiter also has some hiss with the enhance turned high, but I get no hiss, no feedback, nothing now that I have them in my ns-2 loop. I love this pedal.. I am sure there are better gates. But dude, this thing kicks @ss.
  19. Biggbass

Biggbass

+1 for the Decimator.
  20. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

+2 for the decimator. I use it immediately after my Sansamp VT Deluxe to reduce the high gain hiss you get from some of my presets. It does not effect your tone at all. It simply functions as a dB threshold. It does cut down the sustain a little as the note falls below the dB threshold. You have a great deal of control over the level. It is not something that I keep on all the time, only when my high gain preset is on. The noise is still present when you play, but of course, it is covered by the notes you are playing. I like that it eliminates the subtle hiss when I am not playing.