1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I Need a Pep Talk

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Casting Thunder, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

I went to an awesome concert this weekend, but I've come to realize I need to get some solid ear protection. I realize this is the smart and mature thing to do, but I still hear my immature self saying that earplugs are for dorks.

I mean I'm only 20, but I have 15 years of concert damage already. And I can get them in a flesh tone, and with my hair down no one will notice them. And I'll be able to enjoy music for the rest of my live which should be 50-70 more years. And with good hearing I can go hang out in France more.

Anymore pros I'm not thinking of?

2. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Just buy them. Anybody who would mock you for wearing ear protection is a moron.

Trust me, tinnitus is no fun. Deafness is worse.

3. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Media:
    +1
    Function over fashion.
    The day the ringing doesn't stop is a nightmare.

4. shawshank72

shawshank72

Speaking as someone who suffers with tinnitus, just get the damn things and screw anyone with an opinion on how it perceives you to look.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DanAleks

DanAleks Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult Supporting Member

I used to tell people "I'm a musician. My hands and my ears are my tools. I take care of both because I need them."
    turning your back on them adds punctuation...

7. russpurdy

russpurdy

I've worn earplugs since I was 16. Bright orange and everyone can see em. Most concerts I go to are blisteringly loud and the band has the treble cranked. Earplugs help attenuate that. I wear them onstage often when playing as well. Every once in awhile you get lucky and see a band that is so dialed in you don't need earplugs. The Sword was one of these bands. I pulled my earplugs out just to see how they were sounding and I didn't need to put them back in. Just grab a pack of disposable foam plugs and call er good!

8. Lo-E

Lo-E

Custom earplugs = best music investment I ever made.

9. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I'm 54 years old, I've been gigging for 38 years. I started wearing hearing protection at age 40 when I realized that I'd developed some hearing loss. My hearing has remained about the same for the past 14 years. I really regret that I didn't figure it out at an earlier age.

You have it figured out already, just do it.

10. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

My biggest complaint is singing with ear plugs. I'm having a hard time getting use to that. I have custom plugs with a 9 db filter.

11. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Media:
    9 db cut isn't much at all...

12. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Media:
    I have a pair of custom molded ones. They are comfy enough that I don't feel them when they are in, and extremely. I played with a band for 3 months without them noticing recently.

13. Rocker949

Rocker949

So true.

14. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

I have custom plugs too. Yeah, people notice them. Think they're hearing aids. People ask if I have a hearing problem, I tell them they're ear plugs and I wear them so I won't have hearing problems.

When asked what they cost and I tell them $120 (I've had over 15 years now), I'm told that's expensive for ear plugs. To which I respond " How much is your hearing worth?" Or: That's a lot cheaper than hearing aids (which don't help with damage from high decibel exposure an audiologist told me).