1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

I need a thinktank

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Salamenster, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Salamenster

Salamenster

There are these guys that play on the street regularly. They might want me to join them. City law says max 5 persons, half hour stay at each place max and UNPLUGGED.

Last one's a problem. Should I go double bass, acoustic bass, or something else? I'm afraid acoustic bass isn't loud enough and double bass is too expensive. Have to 'battle for the mix' with an acoustic guitar and a cajon.

So please, any other ideas out there?
  2. JACink

JACink

This:

[​IMG]

Or this:

[​IMG]
  3. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Does 'unplugged' extend to battery-operated amps? You could play acoustic and have a small battery-powered combo underneath your legs or something to provide a bit of 'oomph'. Roland, Traynor, Pignose, Phil Jones, and Crate all make decent battery-powered amps, as far as I remember. And there's also the option of using a battery pack if you have a fairly efficient amp already.

An acoustic bass will be audible - just play heavily with a pick, but what you'll be missing is the low-end you're used to as an electric bass player. That why I suggest even a small amp for reinforcement. A double bass is louder, but they can still get lost if you're outside, and you'll be spending at least $1500 for a half-decent instrument.

EDIT: After writing this I went and looked at the Roland Microcube Bass Rx on YouTube - want one!
  4. Salamenster

Salamenster

Guitarrón, have NO clue where to get one here in Belgium. :p

That Vox thing is cool, yet I don't think they see it as unplugged. The Dutch word they used literally means 'unamplified'. So yeah... :p

Let's say I could get a double bass for around €100/150. It's probably crap, but would it be usable?
  5. DogBone

DogBone

Inexpensive FULL BODIED ABG, like a Dean EAB or similar. No cutaways or thin body models, and use a pick. It won't be loud, or deep, but you will at least have a shot at contributing to the sound and having fun.

[​IMG]

And if, and that's a big IF, the genre allows, you could consider making yourself a washtub bass. It's actually a great inexpensive acoustic street instrument that CAN be loud, and WILL be fun and a great attention getter. A galvanized tub, hoe handle, and piece of heavy twine and you're in business.

[​IMG]

Good luck!
  6. JACink

JACink

http://www.thomann.de/be/lucida_guitarron.htm
  7. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

I wonder if this has more to do with volume and style than the actual fact of amplification, though? They probably just have that condition so that there's no loud electric guitars playing rock music and annoying people during the middle of the day. If you explained that you wanted a small amp (as I suggested, battery powered) to be heard, they probably wouldn't mind.

You could get a cheap Chinese double bass bow for about that much. I'd say the cheapest you could find a double bass would be around €500, and it would probably not be much of a step up from the acoustic bass guitar in terms of volume (not to mention, probably unplayable and a pain to transport if you're moving every 30 minutes).

I'd be leaning towards an acoustic bass guitar. Played with a pick you will be heard - it just won't be 'bassy' without a small amp to reinforce you.
  8. JFOC

JFOC

Learn the tuba