I need a volume boost

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Joaquin, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Joaquin

Joaquin

I need just a quick volume boost once and while for solo's....nothing too fancy...just a slight bump.

What do you suggest I buy or try? I have tried just tuning the knobs but sometimes I got to get right back into the main riff too fast for that.
  2. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

You may have to buy a booster pedal. I had to buy one for my rig. I kick it on for solos or when I turn on my envelope filter because it cuts volume. There are ton's of different boosters on the market you can choose from
  3. Crater

Crater

Another alternative is the Electro-Harmonix "signal pad" basically a reverse boost. It reduces your signal by a pre-set amount. So when the signal pad is OFF, that's your "solo" volume, when it's on is your "normal" volume.

You could also use an EQ pedal for a solo boost.
  4. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

Yeah thats a good point and an EQ pedal would be cheaper than a booster pedal would
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Petros-J

Petros-J

EHX lpb-1
  7. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

I use a Fulltone Fat Boost with the VOL set at about 12db boost and the drive turned off. It works great. The pedal can adjust to approx 20db boost.
  8. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i would say an eq just because they can be so versatile.
    i bought a used boss eq for $40
  9. jmclearnon

jmclearnon

I have Bassbone or that :)
  10. jmattis

jmattis Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: BNA Audio- Greenboy Cabs
    Would you consider something like the Wren & Cuff Phat Phuk B? It's a really great pedal for this type of purpose, but does come with a tiny bit of grit/ break-up when you really dig in.
  11. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

I went through this search myself. I play passive p's and j's into ss amps. The best clean boost option IMO is what was already suggested, an EQ pedal. For my purposes, I wanted a little bit of dirt with my boost, so I found excellent results using either a BOSS ODB-3 or the Distortion channel on my MXR M80, both with the gain dialed almost completely off. Excellent made-for-bass boost.

Various thoughts on other options:

LPB-1: Way more volume built in than you could ever use, and I found it boosted treble while taking away some of the low end.

The Mole: Sort of the reverse of the LPB-1. It boosts bass while taking away treble.

Phat Phuk B: Really cool pedal made for bass, but made to overdrive a tube section. So unless you have a tube amp, it's a lot of money for a differently purposed pedal.

MarkBass SuperBooster: Awesome pedal, has the much loved (or maligned depending on your POV) signature VLE and VPF filters, and even has a DI; but it is big and runs on a 12v power supply.

The rest of the dedicated boost pedals that I researched (which was admittedly limited) fell into the same general category of being made for guitar and having some sort of coloration/bias toward guitar frequencies.
  12. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things. Supporting Member

The Aguilar Tone Hammer makes a great Boost pedal too...if you keep the gain way back, you can use the AGS circuit as a boost. Plus it's a great DI and pre-amp.
  13. Anarchyok

Anarchyok

Another vote for the Wren and Cuff Phat Phuk B... You can dial back the grit internally and just get a lovely warm phat boost. I couldn't do without mine, and I'm not running a full tube amp.