1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I Need a Wallet

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DerHoggz, Jan 5, 2014.

1. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Looking for something made of nice full-grain leather in brown that will get that nice aging. Something small and slim, hold some cards and some bills is all I need.

Any suggestions?

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

My oldest son makes them out of duct tape. Damn things are indestructible.

3. carl h.

carl h.

4. paste

paste Supporting Member

Duct tape wallets ftw.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Expensive, but really will last 100 years. www.saddlebackleather.com

I have one of their smallest wallets and it is awesome. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Another thing you can do if you have an old, well worn baseball glove is to make your own. I have thought of this and I might at some point.

lowsound

7. carl h.

carl h.

Man those look nice!
    I have one that is between the big leather wallet and the slim wallet, except without the tab. If they had one like the one I have had for the last 25, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. I have been looking for a couple years now for a replacement, and the garbage out there is mind boggling. Found a trashy one that looks similar for 75 in the mall. Almost did it, but I doubt it would last 5 years.

I had one similar to this one. It seems like what the OP is looking for, and the price is decent too!

8. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

That is a nice one. This is the one I have

I have no doubt that I will never buy another wallet. Mine is Tobacco Brown. I really want one of their briefcases.

lowsound

9. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Supporting Member

10. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Try making your own! I made one in 2007 and it's been with me ever since. If I lost it, I'd be more broken up about losing the wallet itself than the stuff in it! Cards can be cancelled in seconds, a handmade wallet thats spent 7 years next to your butt can't be replaced!

I made mine from a kit from Tandy/the leather factory. Took 2 days for me to make, but I did some tooling on it. Very easy kit and it includes the lace and needle to stitch it up.

Mine ha been aging very well. Somewhere along the line I made a habit of putting it in my pocket in the same direction every time, so one side is stained almost black and the other side is dark brown from years of butt sweat from playing music in tight jeans and biking in the summers. Started out as almost white leather haha.

11. Immigrant

Immigrant

I don't need a wallet but I need what's in all of yours.:ninja:

12. carl h.

carl h.

Where shall I send the bills? :help:

13. Michedelic

Michedelic

14. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

I raise your duct tape wallet by one Capri Sun wallet. Been using them for years. I'm in sales so there is no better conversation piece than pulling out a velcro Capri Sun trifold to pay for a $3K dinner in Manhattan. I buy 10 at a time, they last about 4-5 months and usually my customers all want one for their kids. Helps me in being remembered and landing a few fortune 100 accounts as well.
    They look a bit like this....

[​IMG]

Nothing wrong with leather either but I have to continue with my silliness as now I'm known for it.

15. line6man

line6man

Something I have noticed about a lot of wallets I see in stores is that the card slots are too narrow to actually fit credit cards. You have to hassle with them, and half the time, the cards just don't fit at all. Keep this in mind when selecting a wallet.

16. bassist11

bassist11

I've been GAS'ing for one of these, my current wallet is still going strong though so I can't justify it. Once it wears out though...

17. StayLow

StayLow

Duct tape wallet is the least obtrusive I've found, and some kids are making them using colored and patterned duct tape that exists now.

It's nice to see that some wallets are being made smaller, slimmer, and even for front pockets now, but they're still far too big & bulky for me.

18. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Gold Supporting Member

19. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Keep any suggestions coming, I'm liking a lot of these. No duct tape or Capri Sun though, I've done that before.

20. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    This matches none of your specifications stated, but this is what I've been using for a couple months. Most importantly, it matches my gig bag!:ninja:

[​IMG]

21. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I keep the important stuff that I must carry on my person in what I refer to as my high speed fishing wallet.

It's a zip top clear plastic bag just an RCH larger than your typical credit card/drivers license. It fits nicely in my left front pocket and has on more than one occasion saved my stuff from being soaked when I went into the water with no prior plan to do so. They last 3~4 months but it's no problem, wifey gets them for me in bundles of 50 for a couple bucks.

It also makes room for the little stainless 380 PPK I keep in my back pocket where my wallet would usually be if I'm going out at night or to an iffy part of town.

In addition to this I always keep a few one dollar bills in my right front pocket in case I get robbed I'm going to try to sell them on the idea that all I've got is a few bucks on me and I leave everything else locked up in my truck.