I need advice...one space left on my pedalboard.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jadenjazz, Mar 9, 2014.

1. jadenjazz

jadenjazz

Hi All,

I have one space left on my Nano pedalboard and this is what I need the space to do: (Backstory) I string my Fender Jazz V Jazz E-C because I occasionally like to play melody in the upper registers when I'm doing piano/bass jazz gigs. I need (I think) a reverb or chorus pedal where I can completely roll out the low frequency, but still have some shimmer to my tone. (I'm going for a jazzy guitar type sound.) I used to achieve this with a MXR EQ pedal and the MXR Carbon Copy used almost like a reverb - it worked beautifully! But now I'm trying to streamline my setup, hence the Nano board. The other pedals that are on my board are the Bassbone, MXR bass compressor, TU-3. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help!
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Maybe an Earthquaker Organizer or Pitch Bay?
  3. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Perhaps a DOD Death Metal? Nothing delivers that classic Motown sound like a DOD Death Metal. You won't even need a tort pickguard.
  4. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

oc2 or micro pog? could be interesting........

also, i dig my mxr micro chorus.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn

Zoom MS60b.
  7. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

This made me laugh a lot.
  8. skwee

skwee

Priceless.

but…if you've got a comp (and that Bassbone sounds cool as well), I think what you want is a flanger: you should be able to approximate a nice chorus without the phase, and if you want to go 70s spacey you can, too.
  9. Tim_Mofunk

Tim_Mofunk

Zoom MS70CDR would be a good choice IMO. Not as versatile as the MS60B but has much more shimmer and verb.
  10. Veldar

Veldar

A ring modulator, duh.
  11. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

IMO Zoom MS60B or MS70CDR will do the job...but in your case I guess that MS70CDR is more appropiate because you're running through a good comp and preamp..

It has lots of modulation/reverb/delay (even a Carbon Copy simulation ) options, graphic EQ and tuner..
  12. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

Try an EHX Holy Grail+. It has a flerb setting that is a flanged reverb. I think it would sound great for what you want.YMMV. Good luck!!!
  13. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

EQD Dispatch Master = reverb and delay in a small package.
  14. chaosmic

chaosmic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner at MetalString Sound, Inc.
    I'd recommend an Iron Ether Nimbus bass reverb. It has an adjustable high-pass Filter knob that allows you to leave your low-end untouched and only add reverb to the higher frequencies. Separate clean and wet volumes plus the Room Size knob which adjusts the delay time, swell, decay, etc. Great sounding, small and simple to operate.
  15. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

I'd go for the zoom too. The chorus effect has a low cut control to prevent the low end being effected. You then use the blend to bring back clear low end

The plate reverb patch has a low end dampening control to achieve a similar solution.
  16. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

Zoom ms70g or whatever it's called is where it's at for small rigs. Chain together all the modulation you want/need. For example, you could have a chorus running simultaneously with a reverb or delay as well as an EQ to scoop out those lows you were talking about. Stay away from a micro POG. They are cool pedals but woul be too metallic sounding for a mellow jazzy gig IMO. For an out of left field suggestion you could try a Dan Armstrong green ringer. Hint of octave up without going crazy. Fun pedal for single note stuff.
  17. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I second the POG or POG2 if you can fit it. That pedal sounds amazing and can do some very pretty and ambient sounds to straight organ type sounds. Yes, it can sound metallic but it is possible to warm it up with the Q function IMO.Love that pedal. I also vigorously second the Zoom 70CDR, that pedal has some very cool AND usable sounds it from different delays, choruses and reverbs. It has some other crazy cool sounds on it as well. Cant beat the price point either, $125 brand new I believe.
  18. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

My advice: fill that one spot with nothing. buy the cables, run a 9v supply to it, and now you always have a place for anything you wanna try. Try something new, flip it, try something new. Board "forever" done, because you always have an x in the equation!

:)
  19. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

EHX Freeze or Superego to provide a droning synth pad whilst you noodle away in those upper registers?

Or a shimmer reverb to provide background accompaniment - Strymon Bluesky (the new Zoom Bluetooth pedal had a model for this), or Neunaber Wet are the best examples.
  20. jadenjazz

jadenjazz

Thanks for all the replies! I've discovered a lot of pedals that I wasn't familiar with. The MS70g sounds like it might fit the bill!
  21. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

Due to the different suggestions I would be very interested in what you end up doing. The EQD dispatch master seems to be in line with what you mentioned in the OP. Keeps us posted.