1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

I need an amp. (Details inside)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 456Spectwick, Jan 5, 2014.

1. 456Spectwick

456Spectwick

Hey folks,
    I am ampless! Currently speaking to you from an undisclosed location in Southeast Asia (Deployed with the AF) I've managed to save some money and have also managed to spend most of it. I'm looking to buy upon my return.

I've been playing for 9 years and to be honest, I always just grabbed a combo amp and a beater bass to play with whatever band felt like making noise. My focus has always been on the playing of a bass and what I like and don't like. Now, I realize that I am blind, deaf and dumb to the tech side of things.

I stay in a single dorm at my home station and love to play 'rock/metal'. I'm looking for a versatile amp that isn't bulking huge but will be suitable enough to produce an excellent sound for 'at home' recording and maybe even a little bit of jamming with others. I currently play a Warwick Corvette $$ fretless string. Suggestions, opinions, comments, questions, concerns?

I apologize for being a noob, don't ban me. I didn't meant to start a half thread.
  2. dincz

dincz

Hey. Inside what?
  3. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Lol, inside his head. EDIT: Ah, original post updated now.
  4. jumblemind

No worries! So if you are buying upon your return your current dorm situation isn't an issue, is that right? Does that mean you will be buying in the States (opens a lot of options)? What is your actual budget range? As for home recording, you can mic anything. Otherwise, there are some potentially better options for recording bass tracks than using an amp, especially if you were thinking of using an amp's line out.
  5. 456Spectwick

456Spectwick

When I get back stateside I will be in a dorm room. I will be buying stateside. Budget range is $1500-$2000. I would like to hear the other options you speak of. Thanks again.
  6. jumblemind

I see now. That kind of cash is enough to buy a pretty good sized rig. But I was going to suggest checking out the Gallien Krueger MB210 to start out. It's a small, lightweight combo that can get some good rock/metal tones, has headphones out and Aux in so you can headphone practice with mp3s or your computer, and has pleeeenty of power for jamming with folks. And you could add a second mb cab later on for a fairly loud rig. With the leftover cash from the MB210 you can buy some recording software/interfaces or get some raunchy dirt pedals. Just my opinion, of course.

In re: home recording, check out the recording forum here. I'm not terribly experienced, but all you really need is a way to plug your bass into a computer, like an M Box. Most programs these days have bass modeling. If you wanted to preshape your tone, there are lots of things you could use. The line out on the GKs aren't bad, actually. Then there are other preamp DI options in stomp box form, like Sansamp Bass Driver DI and VT Bass DI, the MXR M80 DI+, which can create some great modern rock tones, or the forthcoming MXR M81 bass preamp (among many, many others).
  7. 456Spectwick

456Spectwick

Excellent suggestion. I'm beginning a music production class this summer so I'll be purchasing a new laptop as well as interfaces and software. That combo seems to fit what I need. I was looking at the Markbass Little Mark III and New York 151 Bass Stack. Do you think that is overkill?
  8. jumblemind

Maybe overkill for dorm living. Doesn't have the headphone option, but there are other ways to accomplish that. Mainly, though, I don't really think of that setup for rock/metal. It will be a big, round, warm, clean tone. Good for blues, jazz, r&b, etc. I mean, it's neutral enough to play anything, but for a lot of people it's too neutral. Good news is that you can find that setup at any Guitar Center and try it out for yourself. If you like the head/cab thing, check out the GK MB500 (or MB Fusion) and the 112 cab. Even more compact than that Markbass setup and still more than enough to jam.
  9. 456Spectwick

456Spectwick

Fair assessment. Check out one more and I'll be convinced. I looked up the combo you recommended on musicians friend and it wasn't available, instead, it brought up Markbass CMD 102P 300/500W 2x10 Tilt-Back Bass Combo Amp. Thoughts on that one?
  10. Warwick Qc418

Warwick Qc418 Supporting Member

Do you really have a corvette $$ fretless??? If so better look at other basses alsi to pkay rock/metal
  11. 456Spectwick

456Spectwick

A 6 string, yes. It was kinda everything I've wanted in a bass Warwick/fretless/6 string/decent price.

I've seen a lot of metal/prog/death bands recently playing with these types of basses. Also, notice I said rock/metal with the quotations. It's a general term for me instead of trying to explain avant-garde/experimental/extreme metal/noise or ,depending on the day, inde/pop-punk/everyone-will-like-this-groove
  12. jumblemind

Ah, then clearly you need a Mesa Prodigy and whatever cab you can find in the TB classifieds with the very little remaining cash :D
  13. 77stingray

77stingray Supporting Member

If you go with Markbass, you may also consider adding a Tech 21 VT bass pedal to the mix to get some more rock and metal tones:

I love my LMIII - I've got it with the 210P traveller. It's lightweight, it sounds just as good very quiet as it does very loud. You can max out the volume and it stays very clean. The cabinets are lightweight and compact as well. I liked the idea of a separate head, so that if I needed more volume for a band situation I could just add a 15 or another 210. That way you can have a small rig and a large rig depending on the situation. The LMIII with the 210 is plenty loud for both trios I am in, but for metal, you might want 2 12's. Good luck!
  14. jumblemind

MF has the MB210 combo. The MB500 and 112 isn't a combo, if that's what you're talking about. It's a separate head and cabinet...the 112 is actually called the Neo 112-II.

I'm not a fan of the CMD 102P, as it's a bit too bulky, and I don't really like MB cabs all that much. Some people around here like them, though. I love Markbass heads, but they aren't the best tonal option for the stuff you're talking about IMO without some serious flavor pedals in front of them.
  15. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

I'm a tube guy now and probably won't go back, but I miss how comparatively light weight my Gallien Krueger was compared to this Ampeg stuff! I read somewhere that one of the founders of GK put himself through school by playing bass and decided that he was going to design an amp that was more on the light weight side and GK was born. Don't know how true that is, but i's a good story, and they ARE pretty light.
  16. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

Some good suggestions so far. Certainly with a budget range of $1500-$2000 for a dorm room setup, the world is your oyster!

Jumblemind has it right: get a rig that has the ability to grow, and a headphone jack. For a hundred dollars or so, you can buy effects pedals to customize your tone any way you like, so the mix and match possibilities are endless.

Happy hunting!
  17. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

If you're looking for metal tones I would look at the Orange combos.
  18. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Neutral is right. I've carried a LMII for a while now as a back up, and a couple of times used it on sub gigs to run an extra vocal wedge.

But neutral doesn't have to be a bad thing. Because it's so honest when set flat, the LMIII is a great platform for pedals, and it's got very useful eq for bass. Paired with a flat-ish cab, the VLE control gets you in the neighborhood of tweeterless old-school tones. The VPF gives you slap or metal scooped tones. (You'll need to add a pedal for metal grind, though.)
  19. 456Spectwick

456Spectwick

Rereading this thread, I realize how much information I've been given, thanks, you guys have been a ton of help. I'll be trying out these options when I get back in a few months. Orange is another brand I've been interested in. Perhaps an Orage head and GK cab?
  20. 456Spectwick

456Spectwick

Lets put it this way, I'm pretty much sold on 2x12s GK cab. So now I'm looking at a head with a headphone jack and the sound i'm looking for (trash can being thrown down a flight of stairs)