I need Cab Advice

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bstew483, Feb 3, 2014.

1. bstew483

bstew483

Hello everyone, I am new the the forum trying to get use to the format of everything around here!

I am in search for another bass cabinet, I currently own an acoustic b115 powered by an Ampeg SVT-3 pro. I am in love with the svt head but I don't feel like I am driving it to its full potential. I have found an ampeg pr210H decently priced online but due to lack of information found online I don't feel comfterable enough to purshase at this point. I would love to hear some more reviews of it from someone on hear as well as any suggestions regarding other cabinets that might be beneficial. I would prefer to run two cabinets both at 8 OHMs but I am open to any suggestions but I do prefer Ampeg over anything else I have tried.

As I stated above I am new to the forum and being my first post I dont know what other information I should be listing so feel free to ask any questions!

Thanks,
    Brad

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

What is the 115 rated for? Pairing a 2x10 to a 1x15 is not the best option. Ideally you should pair matching cabinet, it will optimize your sound.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 two of the same cab is the only choice with a known outcome. Anything else is a crapshoot. If you don't already love the Acoustic 115, start over with 2 identical small cabs, or one big 4 ohm cab.

4. nick98338

nick98338

from ad copy: Acoustic B115 mkII 450 watts, "custom designed" speaker. IOW, we have no idea what it's real specifications are, or what it sounds like, or what other cabs it will cooperate with.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TC.65

TC.65

There's another guy on here that is running the same head you have through the new SVT 212 AV and loves it. maybe check one of those out.

7. bstew483

bstew483

The cab is 200 wats

8. wmheilma

wmheilma

How loud do you need to be? A 6x10 might do the trick. Them you can use the 1x15 for smaller venues and the 6x10 for big ones. I picked up an SWR Goliath Sr. that is awesome! Recently, I saw one for sale for only $350. It needed some cleanup, but so did mine. I paid $450 which was a good deal for how great it sounds.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Here's some info on the cab: http://www.ampeg.com/images/archive/panels/PR-410H--PR-210Hpanel.pdf
    It weighs 84 lbs. :(

You'll be getting a lot of replies to your question. :) Lots of knowledgeable TBrs on the topic. Best thing to do is get matching cabs and make sure the speakers are vertically stacked. Best dispersion, least distortion and you'll be able to hear yourself better with the cabs close to ear level. Also add a High Pass Filter between your bass and the amp and it will protect your speakers and tighten up the tone. Search of fdeck HPF/pre v3.

What's your max budget?

Btw, welcome to Talkbass. :)

10. chris_b

chris_b

I played an SVT3 PRO through Mesa Boogie cabs for nearly 10 years. Great amp and great sound, even though I used a 210 and 115.

Get the right cabs and they will sound good together.

11. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd

I also concur with this. If you want to keep your 1x15, add another identical 1x15. Mixing and matching driver size nearly always puts you in a situation where your cabinets are getting unequal portions of the power. Plus, unless you have a subwoofer and/or bi-amp setup, all of these cabinets are designed and voiced to be full range, meaning that combining them doesn't get you "the best of all worlds" like it might intuitively seem -- they are all trying to for a sound more or less "in the middle."

Also, unless you really dig the profile of your current cab, you will be able to get much more volume and (probably) better sound if you just ditch the Acoustic and get some kind of 4x10, ideally 4ohm unless you think you might need an 8x10 full stack down the road :D.

12. wshines1892

wshines1892

It could be the cab that you feel is limiting the head tone wise. My first rig was an Acoustic half stack and I remember the cab never really sounding fantastic. It's a decent budget cab, and if you like it then by all means keep using it, but if you don't like how it sounds now, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to buy another cab to somehow fix it. Than again I'm assuming what you mean by driving the head to its full potential means you want full, tight low end, and clear smooth high end. If you just want more of what you have then yeah, get another acoustic cab.

For what it's worth, back when I was using one, I paired it with an Ampeg SVT210AV cab and it sounded pretty good. What I've realized now though is that I should have saved my money and just bought a single cab that sounded the way I wanted rather than buying two different cabs that sounded relatively better, but never great. I ended up selling both of the cabinets and now have a set of Avatar TB153s, which are phenomenal if you have the scratch or can find one used. That's not the only answer of course, but it was the answer that I found. If you have a line on a used 210 for really cheap and you have a chance to try it with your cab, why not? The world won't implode if you mix speakers. Do be careful with ohm load and that sort of thing, but other than that it never hurts to try. By a lot of the logic on here all of the mixed speaker rigs, that bassists like Victor Wooten and Flea play, can not and will not work ever, but they don't seem to have a problem.

13. bstew483

bstew483

I just looked all over the internet and could not find one of these seems like it would defantly do the trick but even if I could find one I drive a Toyota Camry so the transportation aspect also makes this difficult.

14. bstew483

bstew483

Thank you all for your feedback. I guess I didn't state clearly that no, I am not happy with the cabinet. I don't feel like I am getting enough volume out of it and when I activate my full drive 2 overdrive pedal it sounds more blown out than anything. My budget it pretty cheap I would prefer to shoot for around 300 dollars but I understand how hard that can be.

How does everyone feel about Mesa cabs. I have never played one personally but I have heard nothing but good things.

15. wshines1892

wshines1892

If you live near a GC, plug into a few different cabs and see which one grabs you. If an OD pedal is making it sound blown you might have the tweeter still on and that might be making the farty noise. I hear good things about the Ampeg portaflex line, and GK is always nice, not to mention light.

I like 15s myself but you might prefer 10s. Really you've just gotta get out there and try them. Whatever you get though, if you're using dirt, turn off the tweeter.