1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I need drums I'm going crazy here!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Tajue17, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Tajue17

Tajue17

enough is enough already with this Alesis SR16 drum machine resurrected from my youth punk band days!

I'm asking all you folks what are my options on finding the best possible drum patterns and sounds, has to be user friendly and pre recorded drum patterns are fine if there's variety. I like these for pretty much freestyle jamming and recording because my ideas only come out when I have some drums..... I'm old school and totally missed the train with new technology since the early 90's and I only have the Alesis SR 16 which worked for a few years then got old...

what do you folks recommend :hyper:, thanks Taj

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Old school is harder. It's like trying to use a slide rule over a calculator. What's a calculator again? oh - it's an app on a smartphone :)

The best for no-knowledge is iRealb
    http://irealpro.com/
    Pick a style, put in the chords and get a piano to play along too

3. Kubicki440

Kubicki440

Toontrack EZDrummer or Superior Drummer 2.0 if you have a DAW such as Reaper, Logic, etc.

Not sure what DAW or computer operating system you have. I use Logic Pro with the built in drummer, GarageBand also has this drummer built-in feature as well.

4. Kubicki440

Kubicki440

iRealb is great, you can mute certain instruments if needed.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

I use a Zoom B2 pedal. 49 rythim patterns.

7. Tajue17

Tajue17

thanks I'll check these options out.

8. Unethical

Unethical

Try Riffmaster, it is a very cool computer program, plug whatever music you have into it via mp3, great tool. Another incredible and free piece of software is Guitar Rig 5 by Komplete, it has awesome amps, effects, drums and more and it is free, yes free, no adware, or other nonsense. But I will warn you, if your using a stone age computer....good luck.

9. lifeoffroadbass

lifeoffroadbass

Drumbeats+ for iphone or tab. App is free you pay for additional beats. Really nice I think.

10. maltobello

maltobello

If you have a mac, newest Garageband with Drummer instrument is incredible. it's free with OS X Mavericks and for $4.99 you can upgrade to the full set of drummers and kits. it's also available in Logic Pro X, but the Garageband version is an amazing value

What I like is that it's very easy to create a simple song structure and parts for each section. you can then loop sections or whatever. the parts and patterns are great and the drums sound fantastic. you can control the frequency of fills and they respond to the layout of song sections. this is the first virtual drummer I've used that feels anything like playing with a drummer (a very patient one that is willing to just keep playing while you jam along.

11. Bassist30

Bassist30

Superior Drummer by toontracks. Their are many ads to this program regarding different styles and sounds. Well worth the money. Very easy to use. Also the standard program has so many different beats that it will start you off and keep you going. They are very good with questions and answers if you have any problems.

12. INTP

INTP

I was in the same spot. I had a DR-660 drum machine, which is from the same era. I got a deal on EZDrummer and it is quite easy to get decent sounding drum tracks. The true cost comes from buying additional drum kit samples (EZX) as add-ons, and they have midi packs as well that have patterns in different styles.

You can get better pricing for the base product (EZDrummer) and also the EZX kits on amazon than you can on the ToonTrack web site, but you have to wait for the media to arrive vs. immediate downloads. Sweetwater has a bundle of 6 midi kit licenses for $99 (they're $29 each on ToonTrack web site).

EZ Drummer comes with a stand-alone app called "Toontrack Solo" but it really only lets you sample the loops and kit sounds. I use EZDrummer as a VSTi in Reaper to put together actual tracks. One neat thing is that you can choose to use it as a simple stereo track for simplicity, or you can break the individual sounds into separate tracks so you can add effects (EQ/Compression) to the individual drums (or groups, like toms), create an effects bus (e.g. for reverb). The second option takes a bit more work, but can sound more realistic.

They do have an on-line registration process, but it's not that big of a deal (I've read that other software can be a real PITA).

Bottom line is that it is easy to use, and you can make it as simple (basic loop) or as complex (full mix with individual tracks/effects, etc.) as you like. Add-ons can add up, but if you shop around, there are deals to be found.

There are a bunch of demos and tutorials on youtube if you want to see more about EZDrummer

13. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Another vote for Superior Drummer from ToonTracks. A friend has a home studio to do demos and sometimes finished CDs. He uses SD to put down the basic groove, builds the tracks from there and then overdubs real drums last. Says it work better than a click track. I've heard his stuff and agree.

14. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

You can make your own pretty easy with Mixcraft 6 Pro and a controller, or use the loops in the library - or add EZDrummer or Superior Drummer.

15. Milk

Milk

I use Superior Drummer in Mixcraft. The track in my sig was done with it. Though that's not a good example at all of the kind of beat complexity you can achieve, I was going for simple there. You of course don't even have to program your beats if you don't want to be bothered. Just piece "grooves" together and make a song. Usually i kinda do half and half, some stuff is beats that was already in there but theres always times when i can't find the kind of beat i'd want so I make it myself (fills especially they always have needlessly elaborate ones i find... what happened to simple rolls?). Or take an existing one and heavily modify it.

Anyway, Superior Drummer changed my life. Any songwriter who doesnt have a drummer at the ready or can't play drums themselves should have it.

16. seamonkey

seamonkey

17. TJBass

TJBass

or cruise over to wikiloops.com and download free live recorded drum tracks, just search for the style and feel you need.

18. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Good pick, thanks!!