I need feedback!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Ric Fish, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Ric Fish

Ric Fish

Okay TBers,
    I need some serious feedback. This is my first bass solo I wrote and I'm curious to see what you guys have to say about it. I recorded it on my laptop using Audacity... I am aware the transitions are terrible, there's feedback, and I used a silly Audacity effect or two :bag: But all that aside...I would like to know what you think of the song itself. Thanks in advance! :bassist:

http://soundcloud.com/abdomain/abby-bass-solo-mp3-1

:hyper:

2. t77mackie

t77mackie

Fun with delay! Just bear in mind that fun with delay is usually more fun for you than the audience. Not saying that about your solo - just in general.

Some percussion would sound really good with that - not drums, but percussion. I understand your limitations - just sayin'.

You have a very fertile and imaginative mind. You should take some of those ideas and try to create songs with them.

Constructive criticism: I would say, would the melodies hold up without the use of delay? Melody + rhythm = music. Listen to how Jaco does it:

Yeah, I know, Jaco makes me want to quit playing and burn my stuff too... :crying:

All in all nicely done.

:bassist:

3. Ric Fish

Ric Fish

I have tried it without delay, but the delay (to me) adds feeling and it sounded so empty without it. I dunno...maybe it's just me. I could fiddle around with it. I would love to add some percussion and maybe even piano to some parts. I am very limited recording wise though. And yes, jaco makes me feel like a mere ant in the bass world...haha. Thank you for your input! Much appreciated.

4. t77mackie

t77mackie

Don't get me wrong - delay is fun, just listen to U2 - they'd be completely lost without it.

My comment was more of an extra credit / something to try on the next one is all.

Good luck!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ric Fish

Ric Fish

I gotcha! Thanks!

7. t77mackie

t77mackie

OOOh - OOOh here's something to try... :hyper:

Solo over your solo! You have a lot of chordy ambient stuff going on, so now try to groove over what you've already done.

Sound like fun?

8. Ric Fish

Ric Fish

Yes, that might be a good idea! I'll try it out.

9. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium

Just point your microphone at your monitor.
    :D

10. Ric Fish

Ric Fish

Very funny.

11. Ric Fish

Ric Fish

Thought you meant something different at first...then I thought about it and then realized I had a Blonde moment of all blonde moments.

12. Ric Fish

Ric Fish

13. Ric Fish

Ric Fish

14. jozevgates

jozevgates

As a solo bassist myself, I would recommend that you listen to as many other soloists as you can. Like, Wooten, Manring, Jeff Schmidt. They'll give you some inspiration and show you whats practical to do and whats not. Keep it up! :hyper:

15. Ric Fish

Ric Fish

I'm just now exploring with soloing, so I am definitely a solo "newb" if you will, but I often listen to soloists like Wooten and Manring and Miller and I aspire to be able to make a bass speak the way they do. I am far from being able to get my thoughts into music, but thanks for listening and thanks for the advice! Appreciate it!

16. Ric Fish

Ric Fish

17. Ric Fish

Ric Fish

18. t77mackie

t77mackie

That's a cool one. I would turn down the feedback volume a bit on your delay effect. Not too much, just a bit so it doesn't overpower things.

If you have access to a drum machine try coming up with a cool beat to play over.

You need a band to fulfill your creative energies.

Nice work.

19. t77mackie

t77mackie

20. Ric Fish

Ric Fish

Thank you! I am apart of a band actually, for about 3 years now, but I don't get much freedom or say in what we do, which is why I started writing my own stuff and fooling around with recording. It's fun :) thanks for the feedback.

21. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Seriously you don't need our input............................your doing fine all on your own.