1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

I need Help with my rig!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MoFoTWeeTeR, Jan 1, 2013.

1. MoFoTWeeTeR

MoFoTWeeTeR

I have an SWR Workingman's 15 combo with a SWR 2x10 extension cab. This is what i use for gigs with my band. The amp is on its way out, yet i feel i could still salvage the speakers. My thoughts are to either buy a new "head" and run the 2x10 speaker and 15" speaker off it (will this help improve my sound?). OR buy a 4x10 cab (slavage my 2x10 along with it) and a new header. Im pretty tight with money and frankly dont know anything about equiptment especially which amps out there are most reliable i was hoping for anyones insight or thoughts.
    Thanks
  2. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

what type of music do you play, what type of bass, is your drummer super loud, did you like the swr's tone?
  3. MoFoTWeeTeR

MoFoTWeeTeR

The style of music we play is alternative rock (Funk/Jazz/Hip Hop). I play an American 62' Fender Jazz reissue.. Drummer plays super loud. The tone on the SWR i do like, however i always felt that my sound has lacked on the low end. Deep notes never seemed clean and smooth as compared to playing on amps with EQ's at rehearshal studios. Im asumming its the lack of EQ's on the combo header of the swr though.
  4. IPYF

IPYF

What do you mean by "on the way out"?
    No chance of just saving some scratch getting the combo unit serviced?
  5. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

the drummers i play with are super loud, maybe try a 15 extension cab and ditch the 210, my set up sounded 4x as loud when i added the second 15, today you can get a pretty powerful good sounding head cheap from gk, kustom, ibanez, or ampeg, that shouldn't be a problem

since you don't want to spend a ton of cash, i'd stay away from tube heads
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

There may be someone in your area could help see where the problem is before spending your hard earned.

Reading between lines, you have possibly abused the rig's ability to provide lows and the cabs are shagged. SWR didn't filter any sub lows making it critical for you to not boost your lowest eq.

I have Goliath JR III. It can't do big low lows. It can do low mids where the real meat of the lows is.
  7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Without know if it's your amplifier or ypur spkrs that are "on thier way out", most here will assume it;s the speakers. Try backing off the low eq and boosting your mids. If this helps, there may be hope. But, in the long run, you're going to want a bigger bass rig, and speakers are the important bit.
  8. MoFoTWeeTeR

MoFoTWeeTeR

While jamming the clip and limit light went solid and shut down. Weeks later at a gig same thing happend again except this time some smoke from behind the amp. It wouldn't power back on. Didn't know if it was the amp or a back circuit/outlet in the club. It works now but I simply don't trust it. I put about 11 years of love and abuse on the thing. Due to the two crap out episodes I'm really thinking its the amp. I believe the output is only 160 watts which I know max outeverytime I play with my band. Always keeping it at levels just before that clip light goes off.
  9. MoFoTWeeTeR

MoFoTWeeTeR

What's the best avenue you all think I should take? 4x10 with a new header? Or something else? I'd figure I'd ask here because going to a place like guitar center and testing out headers and speakers are joke due to their limited pathetic selection, most of which is used.
  10. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

It just sounds to me like you pushed a small rig too far for too long. Get 500w and, most important, get more speakers. Like a pair of quality 212s at least. I don't care for 410s much. Too big, too heavy and too much of what they do is aimed at your ankles.
  11. murphy

murphy

tight budget
    get a used Markbass LMII or III....or a GK 1001RB in the classifieds
    Buy the best 4ohm speaker cab you can get for the LM or 8ohm for GK.
    Quality 410 or 215...which sound you like best
  12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

The 2x10 may be still rocking. If so I'd get another one and a handmedown head from the classifieds.
  13. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Good idea. Matching 8 ohm 2x10 is a powerful 4 ohm combo. Versatile as well.