I need ideas for a pedal board?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Timpala, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Timpala

Timpala Supporting Member

Most of the time I have been a straight up "Plug in & play" kind of guy. But, I have always toyed around and loved playing with fuzz pedals. Currently, I have to unplug & plug in whenever I want to change pedals. So, I am in the market for a pedal board to put all of my fuzz pedals and tuner together. Currently, I have 1) Tuner 2) Big Muff Deluxe 3) Ashdown NM Distortion 4) Zvex Woolly Mammoth. Most of these are pretty big pedals. I doubt I will add more, but who knows? I want something very road worthy and tough. I also want to be able to plug all of the pedals into a single power source. I have never had a pedal board, so I am up for all suggestions. I want something with really good quality and ease of use. I have searched a bit, but haven't found what I was looking for. I think that something with a hard shell cover would be best. Any suggestions??? Also, any patch chord suggestions are welcome.
  2. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Tim if you are doing local gigs and carrying your own equipment I suggest the pedal train. Their are so many to choose from if you do a search. Good ones too. But the pedal train is light and you can choose either a hard case (which I suggest) of a very good soft case. You can look at them and see which size is best for you. Especially if you are thinking of expanding. They now have their own power supply but I use the voodoo lab 2. They give you professional grade Velcro and cable ties etc. All you need. I like that it has rods instead of a closed board. Good luck on your search, let us know which you had picked and maybe some pics after its all set up.
  3. bassbenj

bassbenj

I agree. Just depends how much you want to spend. Me, I went cheap since I"m not really into pedals much for bass (For serious pedaling I use my Digitech BP8)

These work really nicely for little cash.

http://www.rondomusic.com/pedalcases.html

I've got my couple of pedals (volume, bass bad monkey, tuner etc.) plus my "ultra DI" -preamp in there all powered with 1Spot wall wart.

Works great and didn't cost a fortune.

Note search seems to show pedaltrain has discontinued some sales:

"Retired Product . Pedaltrain has discontinued all case-only and frame-only sales. These items are no longer available as a la carte purchases."

pedaltrain.com
  4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I have been using Pedaltrain boards for a long time. They are light and very rugged.

As for a power supply, it depends on how much you want to spend and if you might add more pedals later. A 1spot is a decent inexpensive option.

I suggest you take this into the effects forum.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Timpala

Thanks! Good suggestions.
  7. Guinness20

Guinness20

Sorry for the not-relevant post, just wondering how you're liking your nm2 distortion? Does it sound good with the dbbm?
  8. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

My suggestion would be a Pedaltrain Jr with the ATA hardcase. Big enough but still somewhat compact. The case adds some cost, but it's nice. For cables, you can't go wrong with a set of George L's. Lava makes some in the same vein, and both let you make custom length cables, which is very handy.
  9. Timpala

The true test will come when I practice with my band. We haven't practiced since I got it. I have dialed it it with just a subtle distortion, so I don't know if it will make much of a difference while playing with the 2 other guitars. My thinking is that the bass notes will fit into the mix better and not sound as crunchy (for lack of a better word). But, I can always give it more distortion. Here is a thread I started about it. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/a...n-nm2-nate-mendel-double-drive-pedal-1038864/
  10. Mjinsk

Mjinsk

Pedaltrains are really good. I personally prefer the T-Rex pedalboards, but it mainly depends on how you want to set your pedals on your board, as they aren't built in the same way.
  11. Timpala

12. JensCambre

JensCambre

I used to have a cheap pedalboard with a cheap powersupply under it. (Gator) I had this thing for years and I was pretty happy with it. A few months ago I got myself a pedaltrain one with a voodoo lab to put under for power. I LOVE IT. I should have gotten this thing a lot sooner! at gigs and rehersals, I'm set up and ready to play in under a minut! also, you can keep the wiring underneath so you don't have all that mess on your board. it is pricey, but in my opion it is worth it... also, a pedaltrain is built like tank.
  13. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

+1 for the pedaltrain

Before "comercial" pedalboards we used to set all our pedals in the floor , then , the DIY handmade pedal cases arrived (I still know people who use some coffin size wood handmade cases ) , the Boss BCB arrived but it was expensive and limited to a certain size and number of pedals...Pedaltrain isn't cheap, but is almost one size fits all solution
  14. Timpala

I am actually wanting to use zip ties instead of using velcro to attach the pedals. The pedaltrain looks like it might have a problem with that because the metal slats run horizontal. With the Gator case, I would have to make drill holes in the board. I'm just not a fan of using velcro for various reasons.
  15. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Zip ties are a terrible idea if you ask me. Like you said, you'll have to drill holes...what if you want to move or replace that pedal? More holes to drill, making the board weaker. Zip ties will also allow your pedals to move up and down, sometimes changing the knob positions.

Get a PedalTrain. Use velcro. Get a Decibel11 power supply.
  16. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

17. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

Do a google search for "road rage" cases. Well priced super heavy duty pedalboards. Butterfly latches and the whole deal. Might be a bit large for what you need but they are solid boards. NYC pedalboards also makes nice setups and you can decided what covering and size you'd like.
  18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

19. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

Rolls mixer can run as a 4 channel splitter?
  20. Timpala

I've used zip ties for other things in the past and never had any problems with things moving. Also, I really don't want to have to remove the rubber feet on my pedals and then put sticky velcro on where the glue on the back is hard to get off.

I did have an idea about getting a piece of metal pegboard and attaching that to a Pedaltrain with velcro. I would just have to have it cut down to size. I could actually do more than 1 so I could change out pedal combinations without having to detach anything but the metal pegboard.
  21. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Yes ... but an unpowered mixer can feedback and squeal badly ... some pedals won't work well in that environment ...

The more expensive and also better solution is a powered mixer.