I need some creative ideas to case my amp...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Gremson, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Gremson

Gremson

I got some amp guts from an Ampeg 210 combo a while back. Turns out I really like the way it sounds. In order for it to be gig worthy, I had to put it in something, so I made a case out of some old pallets I scavenged off Craigslist.

[​IMG]

It works. But it works just as you'd expect.. It's a little crooked, and kind of a pain. I'm trying to think of something a little more road ready I could put it in.
    I've been looking around, and best thing I can think of would be to slightly modify a 3-4 space rack case and put it in there.... But that's about $80. More than I'd want to spend on an amp I got for free.

Does anybody here have any clever ideas on what to put this beast in? Or maybe have a line on some decent cheap rack cases... I'm hoping to accomplish this feat with less than $50....

Whatchoo think?
  2. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

I'd bet a local metal worker could shear and bend you up a nice 16 gauge case for it for 20 bucks or so. The Just add paint, screws and enjoy.
  3. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    The wood looks badass!
  4. Gremson

Gremson

Thanks, Baird. I think it looks rough and janky in kindof a cool way. I'd be happy to keep it that way, but I've got a lot of gigs coming up this summer, and I really want to better protect the amp.

Good call on the metal worker. That could be something neat.

Any other ideas, folks?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

You should call that thing the Crate! :)
  7. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

That's cool, man! Looks like something you'd see on stage with one of the instrumental, pedal-heavy bands like Russian Circles or Pelican...
  8. JFOC

JFOC

9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

uh it would take a few hours and not much wood to make a nicer looking case.

ask neighbors or friends for some wood, or stop by a local construction site and look for pieces of drop from already cut plywood or just "borrow" a new sheet.

or just spend 35 bucks out of your 50 dollar budget on a nice new sheet, then spend the rest on 2 handles and some corners.

or the just use the head as is, its already in a metal case
  10. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

I would have guessed it wasn't completely enclosed on one side. If its totally covered, spend 5 bucks putting a Speakon jack on the back and just use it As is.
  11. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

Sorry to hijack, but how does one go about removing the guys from one of these combos? I have a ba115 that I'd like to turn into a low wattage practice head coupled with a 410 cab. Is it as simple as just unplugging the existing speaker and using a line out?
  12. odineye

odineye Supporting Member

1/4 sheet of 1/2" hardwood plywood = $15
    3' x 5' of black outdoor carpet = $10
    1 can of spray adhesive = $10

$35 and a couple of hours spent can net you a pretty good looking box. Maybe add the price of a six pack if you have no wood working skills and need to ask your friend who does.
  13. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

I might try using pegboard. Paint it black and just cover the larger openings. Add four rubber feet. It will be vented and probably look pretty good.